From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:35:21 -0500
We recently brought a couple of new boys home, and one of them is picking
on our oldest, Digger.

What we're *not* seeing is ferrets who hate each other.  There is none of
the bristling or lunging attacks going on.  The two will tolerate each
other in the same room, and even frequently sleep together.

What we *are* seeing is play (or dominance battles) that seem a little too
rough.  Digger is reluctant to bite back (he prefers to take it out on us
instead), so he usually ends up losing these battles.  We can hear him
squeaking or whining as Pepper grabs hold and shakes a little.  We aren't
hearing any screams, just squeaking.

We noticed last night that Pepper is breaking the skin.  Digger has some
red spots between his shoulders that look like superficial tooth punctures
or lacerations.  None are deep, but it appears that some of them have bled
very slightly.

What's the best way to stop this?  Should we make Digger's neck taste bad
(Bitter Apple) or good (Ferretone)?  Last night we applied some Bitter
Apple, and it seems to have stopped the Bear vs.  Digger fights (not as
rough), and I haven't seen or heard any Pepper vs.  Digger fights so far
today.

Thanks.

Roger, Digger, Bear, Pepper and Badger