From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:55:29 -0500
We are working this Holiday-- more than usual .  The cages are full the
chores willbe done-- but now there is Socks- in critical care.

Socks is a 9 year old adopted ferret ( 1996) was rushed here in a flood of
tears last night shortly before 11Pm.  Socks apparently starved himself
for 4 days -- unnoticed by the caretakers who were looking in on him while
Dad was away at work.  It was upon his arrival home shortly after 10 he
looked at him and knew he needed help.  The vet is away on vacation--
Socks arrived w/o a call at our door in the middle of the night.  We
administered heated sub-q ringers- placed him on a heat water bed and
coaxed nutrical and chicken baby food.  Socks made it through the night.
Today he realizes he is not home- he is not happy it is all we can do to
keep food going in him .  Every 2 hours is the drill though he responds
much better to shelter dad than to me.  He always was a man's ferret!He
has received Dex to stimulate him and we coast on feedings until the vet
has hours Monday AM.... Socks is adrenal again- I noticed-- he has a small
bald patch on his hind flank-- so I hope we can get him viable to start
Lupron depots.  He has urine burns on his rear legs because he cannot
stand due to malnourished state- he is frail skin & bones - has a cataract
in one eye , there are lots of things to tend.  We will care for Socks
in little steps, he is so very upset as it is.  He was formerly given up
after being dragged form Michigan to Boston only to have his male
caretaker leave him at the shelter to take a job on the road.  While Socks
new Dad has done wonderfully with him-- Socks does not adjust well to days
away-- and is fearful of being abandoned-- so here he is - in the shelter
again-- and it is a hard fight to make him accept our care...

Why do we bother, he is an old duff ?  .  Well, that is a thought BUT
clearly Socks did not make the choice - but rather was in despair because
Dad was working on the road .  He has previously survived a blockage
(hairball) surgery, an adrenal surgery which pronounced him with liver
cancer 2 years ago , and a spinal injury.  He has a strong will so though
he may be opting to go- or a health problem may be in the cards-- we need
to get some labs run, etc.  before we call his time.  If necessary Dad
knows he must return and be at his side, there is no room for absence .
Shoot maybe this will be Holiday magic - we can hope..

Meanwhile, we will help Socks along and get him in to the vet ASAP on
MOnday ( she will be up for a challenge!) .  Unfortunately Dad is on the
road again paying the rent -- Who planned for a holiday dinner anyway--
when you have gruel!  PLEASE Keep Socks in your prayers- and a little
extra sleep time would be a great gift this year for a weary shelter MOM!

 :)

Alicia for the many faces of Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org