From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 09:42:01 EDT
>The first couple of days after we brought her home, she was so sweet
>Then she decided to start biting.  I mean she has drawn blood....
>dny suggestions??

Jeannie,

I have worked with several biting ferrets over the years and have several
different tactics I have used that have been sucessful.

But first, have you taken her into see the vet?  The reason I ask is that
you say she was sweet and then began to bite.  There may be a medical
reason for her biting.  She could have the onset of ear mites, an ulcer,
a tooth ache, and several other things can cause a ferret to start biting
that are severe.

If she is medically okay, then my suggestion is to try wrapping her in a
towel (not too tightly) and hold her for a while.  While holding her try
reaching under the towel and petting her back or stomach.  This helps
them understand you will not hurt them and that you care about them.  I
have found this technique to be the most sucessful.  Being a shelter of
14 years, I have tried to tap their noses, and have gotten quick a few
bites because of that.  Sometimes tapping their noses can make them even
more upset as well.

I have also used bitter apple which works as a deterent for several
ferrets but please be aware that some are not affected by it and may
even like it.

Also has she gotten all three of her distemper shots.  Most pet store
ferrets are only given one or two.  I have heard of a shelter on the
west coast with a similar situation with a pet store rescue and the
biting was attributed to the ferret not being vaccinated properly against
distemper and the ferret bite and drew blood.  Though that is an extreme
hypothesis, nothing can be ruled out until she is examined by a vet.
Please advise if your vet has examined her.

Also most pet stores are famous for not giving proper direction with
feeding a ferret.  How often are you feeding Vegas and what food are you
feeding her?  A young ferret such as her may be having a hard time with
hard food or it maybe that the food she is getting isn't enough.  Ferrets
should have a constant supply of food.  The best way to check to see if
the food is adequate is to look at the ingredients and make sure the
first ingredients are either turkey, chicken or lamb (for ferret allegric
to chicken).  The first ingredients should not be by-product.  Also make
sure the food is rice based in place of corn based.  Too much corn could
cause medical problems.  Also your food should have at least 20% fat if
not more; ferrets need the fat to sustain their body weight.  Though I am
not sure of your area and there are foods out there that are very good
for them, some foods maybe not be available in your area.  What area
are you located in, perhaps I can direct you to a healthy food for your
ferret.  If you should have any questions or concerns, please feel free
to email me at [log in to unmask] or if you would rather, you can always
ask a question on this post.

Sincerely,

Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets National