From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 20:23:04 MET
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Is there any way you can find out *precisely* the species name of the ferret
>that occurs ferally in N.Z.?

Since we don't know what species, or subspecies, the
ferret belongs to, knowing that wouldn't make much of a
difference.
   It's either a subspecies of the Steppe Polecat, Mustela
eversmanni furo; of the European Polecat (which would
better be called Forest Polecat, as there are four polecat
species in Europe), Mustela putorius furo; or a separate
species Mustela furo. Perhaps future research can tell us
which is the "best" designation, but today there's no
agreement about it.
   (The Steppe Polecat was once called Mustela putorius
eversmanni and the River Polecat, Mustela lutreola, was
considered to be two different species. Once there was
supposed to be Mediterranean Polecat on the Iberian
peninsula which is now considered M. putorius, so these
things clearly change over time.)

As for "feral ferrets", some European scientists who know
the difference between polecats, ferrets and
polecat-ferrets say the feral populations on European
islands are ferrets, some say they are polecat-ferrets.
   My opinion is that all, or practically all, our ferrets
are actually polecat-ferrets, if perhaps not to a large
amount (I've got two that are at least 1/8:th) and that it
doesn't make any difference as to whether they can become
feral or not.
   What matters is most likely early training. After
all, ferrets where used for hunting (and still are) as
well as pest control for a long time in history.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]