From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:36:23 -0500
Dear Dale:

>I have a 4 1/2 yr old ferret and just noticed earlier tonight that there
>was a small amount of vaginal bleeding.  She is an early neuter but I have
>never had any health problems with her before.  She otherwise acts healthy
>enough, normal intake and outgo and the like.  I will not be able to see
>my regular vet until Tuesday at the earliest and would prefer not to use
>the emergency vet.  Any clues to the cause of this?  Should I be worried?
>I have never seen this appear on the FML before and found nothing in the
>archives.  Any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

Vaginal bleeding in a spayed female is usually one of two things - a
bacterial urinary tract infection, or a stump pyometra due to adrenal
disease.  BActerial urinary tract infecitons are not uncommon in female
ferrets, a species which has an unusually high incidence.  In females,
however, urinary tract infections can proceed in an ascending fashion
from the bladder to the kidney in as little as two weeks.  As we talked
about on the FML, bacterial infections of the kidney, when untreated,
can result in ureteral blockage, and destruction of hte kindey by
hydronephrosis.  This is why I encourage rapid treatment of all urinary
tract infections - it can wait until Tuesday, but let's make it Tuesday.

The other possibility, which is actually more common is adrenal disease.
The hyperestrogenism in female ferrets with adrenal lesions actually work
on the small remnant of uterus which is present following a spay - over
time, even this atrophied remnant will swell and you can see a prominent
discharge from it.  I t can vary from red to brown to even greenish.  Look
for other signs of adrenal disease, especially a swollen vulva.  If you
have another spayed female ferret, compare the size of the vulva.  If it is
enlarged, and if there is even a hint of hair loss - dollar to doughnuts
you are dealing with adrenal disease.

Other possible causes include neoplasia of the vagina and vulva, but those
are extremely rare.

Let's get it check on Tuesday.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM