From:
Linda Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:55:41 -0700
Hi, Conan.  Welcome to the sobernet.  I do understand your problem with
raisins, having had a similar problem with fermented grapes myself.  We all
hope you like it here and find our group useful for support in your recovery.

You know, some of us in recovery found, when we began to clear our minds,
that more than the raisins, or whatever the problem was, was involved.  We
had to look at *all* our addictive behaviors, and turn them over to our
higher power in order to recover.  Your use of avocadoes has me somewhat
concerned.  Especially when you talk about falling asleep in pots and
crapping in corners.  Lots of us did that, and we have found that we can
recover.

Can you be honest with yourself?  Can you really continue these activities
without hurting yourself and your loved ones?  I mean, how many socks do you
think Paula Ann is willing to sacrifice to your disease?  Making excuses to
the guests for you (Sorry about that little pile, Karen, here; let me pick
up those moldy old aspirin...I don't know why they're piled up in the corner
like that), and cleaning up after you rearrange the pots and pans.  Please
listen to her, the way she tries to keep you from hurting yourself by
getting into the cabinets by locking them with velcro...the closed doors,
the way she hides the raisins...these are all her way of crying out for
help; for you to stop doing this to her.

And have you thought of the legal consequences of your actions?  I think
that forging Paula Ann's signature for the purchase of airline tickets to
Hawaii is illegal.  And certainly going into Rex's home to invade his socks
would have to be considered breaking^H^Hslithering and entering.  And are
sharp front teeth considered weapons?  Would placing piles of poops around
his house be called, "maintaining an attractive nuisance"?  Well, maybe not,
but you see what I'm saying.

Don't let your friends pressure you into staying in your disease.  They can
be helped, too, but the first step is to help yourself.  All youhave to do
is admit to yourself that your are powerless over raisins.  Your higher
power sill reveal himself to you.  He can be anything, you know; the
litterbox, the Great Ferret in the Sky, the rolled-up newspaper.

I imagine that recovery would, for you, entail a pretty drastic lifestyle
change.  While I can't imagine you in a three-piece suit, perhaps cleaning
up your act in general would be a good idea.  Maybe, instead of making
messes on her floor, you could use your hp-given talents to help her out,
instead.  Like slithering along the kitchen floor, leaving it clean and
swept.  And nibbling the spiders that invade her home.  And you could do a
great job on the dishes, I'm sure, if you weren't just looking them over for
leftover raisins.  These opportunities for service are what keep us clean
and sober, you know.

Please, Conan.  Think about what I've said.

With love (for those out there who still suffer),

--Lin