From:
"D. Maunder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:05:20 -0330
On the subject of vegeratian ferret parents, Adrienne wrote:
>However, those people who are vegetarians because they don't like the way
>livestock are treated (bred and killed), or whatever, might be boycotting
>this process by not eating or buying the product.  I don't object
>*completely* to this reasoning, HOWEVER: [snip]

I was't quite sure whether or not to be offended by this post.  As I've
already posted, I chose to be vegetarian for ethical reasons (quite simply,
I don't believe animals should die so I can live... I'm still wrestling with
the issue of vivisection - if a loved one needed medical care that was
available because of animal testing, I'd have a hard time denying it!  -
it's really a grey area, isn't it?) Anyway, it's not up to Adrienne to agree
or disagree with this reasoning.  If someone makes this choice, it's up to
THEM, personally.  In truth, I'd love it of the whole world became
vegetarian - I believe so strongly.  HOWEVER, I would never presume to
preach to someone because they do eat meat - and I never sit in judgement of
their choice.  (Naturally, if someone was interested in my reasons for this
choice, I'd be happy to explain about inhumane treatment of livestock, etc. -
but only if they ask.)

This issue all started because we are all concerned about the welfare of our
beloved ferrets.  As a true animal lover, how could anyone jeopardize the
health of their fuzzies by insisting their ferrets (or other pets) be
subject to their own ethical beliefs.  If you have pets, you must be
responsible enough to "draw the line" and ensure their diets are RIGHT for
THEM.

Sorry, BIG, if this was a little off-topic. I think it's relevant enough
to get though the "screening" process.   :)

CHELSEA HERRIOTT - RE: RINGWORM: About a month ago, I thought Oliver might
have ringworm.  He had a bright red ring (a little smaller than a cheerio)
near his bum.  It was not raised (as I believe ringworm is) but appeared
quite sore.  I started checking through his fur - and to my horror
discovered about six more of these peculiar red rings.  It was late at
night, and not knowing what else to do, I put polysporin on the spots.  I
later discovered, when a tiny black fly fell out of his fur, that the spots
were actually flybites.  We had been outside playing on the lawn and digging
in the garden and those pesky little black "sandflies" were in abundance.
It seems Oliver's reaction to the bites was worse than that in humans.
Since he had so many, I watched him closely for fear of toxicity - but he
was fine... itchy but fine.  The rings disappeared in a few days - and the
polysporin seemed to help.  I wonder if your ferret might have a flybite?  -
but DO contact your vet.

TO BRYAN: I agree wholeheartedly with everyone who has posted to you.
PLEASE don't beat yourself up over this.  You did your best, out of love for
these wonderful critters, and you mustn't fault yourself for that.  You also
recognized your limitations and made a choice to pass the ferret on to
someone knowledgable in ferret rehab - a very mature, commendable and
compassionate thing to do.  Exemplary behaviour!  Don't leave ths FML.  We
need you.

RE: YOUNG FERRET OWNERS: There really is NO quantifyible measure of
maturity.  I've met forty-year-olds who show no signs of maturity and
sixteen-year-olds who have the whole world in perspective.  We can't judge a
book by its the age of its cover.  My compliments to the young lady (sorry,
can't recall name!) who took the time to research ferret ownership and
follow the FML before embarking on her first ferret adventure.  BRAVO!  If
EVERYONE did that, we'd have no need for SPCAs, shelters, etc., would we?

- Andrea Maunder and
 Oliver: "My Ma' really loves animals - especially me - but then, who
could blame her, I'm soooooo cute!" *grin* "