From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 22:29:35 -0400
Mandie will be 19-mo.-old in one week. Today, May 24th, was her adrenal
surgery, the first for our rescue. The left gland was "obviously
compromised," and was removed entirely. The right, though not seemingly
involved, was debulked on principle. Mandie's incision is 2.5 in. long,
complete with dissolvable stitches and the glue used to ceil surgical
wounds. She has been prescribed Rimadyl for pain and as an
anti-inflammatory. Mandie is drinking plenty of water and has eaten
some soft treats and two tbsp. of soup. I think I might can breathe
now -- Maybe.

There are so many people that made this surgery possible. Quite a
few folks bought tickets for our Mandie MayDay Raffle during April.
Others simply sent donations through PayPal. Deb Benson provided the
transportation to the surgical appointments. Anna Smith will be
helping with any follow-up necessary.

Then there is the vet, who isn't our usual one. Dr. John Douds, DVM,
was a recommendation from an FMLer, and we've found this doc to be
knowledgeable on ferrets and very willing to give rescues a discount.
His staff at Douds Veterinary Hospital in Oberlin, Ohio, is very kind
and patient. I can appreciate a vet and his staff that doesn't make you
feel like their full-price customers are waiting for you to hurry up.

Our sincere thanks to everyone that has put forth a helping hand in
this undertaking. We'll be posting a full write-up on Mandie's surgery
in our blog soon with picts, as soon as we have more to include.

Please all be praying that Mandie makes a full recovery. And, pray
that lightning isn't striking twice in our 2.5-yr.-old Winter, who is
showing marked fur loss on the tail and bit my husband today. Yes,
"bit," and that is the most mild-mannered ferret that ever dooked on
this Earth. Winter has been acting "off" lately, a bit unsocial, but
we'll just have to wait and see. I've got enough to stress over for
the next week, and, if he has adrenal, it will prove itself in time.

With respect,

Lori of Ferrets at Heart
Huron, Ohio
http://ferretsatheart.com/

 ...and Rhys, Ayla, Codo, Mandie, Winter,
Holly, Charlie, and Templeton