From:
Todd L Dorsett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:56:03 -0400
This is my first time posting a message even though I have been reading the
FML for a long time.  I recently graduated from college and took a job that
required extensive travel on a weekly basis.  Because of this I had to find
an adoptive home for my ferret, Ferret.  It has only been about 3 weeks
since I found a home for him.  Yesterday I got a call from his new owner
and she said he has hardly eaten anything at all since she took him.  He
was a hefty 4 pounds and she said he is know only half that size.  She
also said it appears that his teeth may be rubbing together causing some
discomfort.  She took him to the same vet I used to take him to, and the
vet seemed to think he was fine.  But I don't think she let the vet know
that he was my ferret and that she had treated him before.  Is it normal
for ferrets to take a while to adjust to a new home?  Could he just be
homesick or traumatized from the move?  I am 300 miles away so it is hard
for me to help.  I suggested she go back to the vet immediately on Monday
and get the vet to pull up his old records so he can see how much weight
he has really lost.  He is only 3 years old.  I would appreciate any
suggestions so that I can pass them on to Suzanne, his new owner.  Thank
you.

Todd Dorsett
University of Florida
Decision Information Sciences