Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 10:30:45 EDT
Wednesday Scooter was very lethargic and had trouble walking.  I took him
to the vet and his glucose was 23, but on Friday it was 179 and 165.  He
didn t want to eat so we had to force feed him.  My first thoughts were
insulinoma, but when the blood test results came back 3 things were out of
whack indicating kidney problems.  The globulin count was 33% (suppose be
20) which could also indicate lymphoma or the AD virus.  Friday while Rob
was waiting to pick him up he had a seizure and the vet could not save him.
Wednesday was the first sign of anything being wrong and by Friday he had
crossed the bridge.  What a shock!  We will know more when the necropsy
results come back.

The first opportunity we had to meet Scooter was when we ferret sat for the
shelter mom while she went away for a few days.  He was fine, but his cage
mate had insluinoma.  We fell in love with him.  We had just gone from 2
ferrets to 10 adopting 8 all at one time and were overwhelmed so didn t
want to take in another 2 and one that was sick.  We had not experienced
insulinoma yet.  So when his cage mate passed, the shelter mom asked if we
wanted him and of course the answer was yes.  I agonized over not having
him for months so when we got him I was sooo happy!  This was just last
November.  In January he had spleen surgery, left adrenal and hair balls
removed and recovered quickly.  That s when our vet called him Scooter The
Wonder Ferret.  He had much more energy after the surgery.  He was so happy
to be with us.  He even weasel wared for us a few times too.  He was 4 = or
5, a MF dark brown sable with the full hood, and a dark nose.  He was such
a sweetheart!  He would look up at you with "that face" and beg for treats.
He didn t like Bandit treats or Ferretbites, but Ferretone and Neutrical
were his favorite.  He also loved Bob s chicken gravy and my duck soup.

I can t believe we only had him for 6 months!  I miss spoiling him the
most, his little face looking up at you and how he would put his little
ears back.  It breaks my heart that he is gone.  Had we known we had ADV
we would have never put any of our ferrets in jeopardy.  I m trying not to
feel responsible for his passing and remember the 6 months that we got to
make his life better before he went to the bridge, but it s really hard
because I miss him so much!  I even called Harely Scooter Duder because
they looked a lot alike.  Today is trim nails, clean ears and weigh, but
unfortunately there is one less.  It s time like this I m glad we have so
many ferrets to help fill the loss.

Sandee please make sure that Scooter meets up with Rowdy, Wheeler, Fruity
and Emily and that they introduce him to Tunny-Bear.  Please tell them that
we miss them all still and love them very much and that I am so sorry if it
was my fault that Wheeler, Emily, Fruity and Scooter passed so quickly.

I would still adopt an older ferret!  They are so appreciative for what you
do for them and love you back so much!  So here is another FML member that
encourages you to adopt older ferrets.  It was worth the expense and hurt
for the short time he was with us.

Mary, Rob and The 11 Munchkins Missing Scooter so much!