From:
William and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:32:41 -0700
we have had many a ferret cross the bridge, a few at home, but most
with the assistance of our Dr.T.

I hold them talking (and sobbing), and if they are able, (and most
are, if just for the 'vite) I have a tube of ferretvite that they are
licking like crazy as he does the intra-abdominal stick. they don't
seem to notice it at all. the last thing they appear to remember is
mama holding them, and the 'yum yum yum.. never got this much before'
of the ferretvite. I have never had one fight it, or seem to be in
distress. I cannot speak of the heart-stick having never seen it done,
but it does sound like a last ditch effort for a too hurried vet rather
than the takes a bit longer abdominal one.

they seem to slip away, quietly, and I continue to hold them cuddle,
and sing a native song of good-bye. Dr. T allows me as much time as I
need, and once I'm sure they have left, I grab his scope and listen,
then check pupillary response, and finally the gum, and skin coloring,
just to make sure.

I've body-bagged a lot of humans in my time, watching over them as they
pass as well,(DNR, DNAR, comfort care). think it's harder to have one
of our babies go, if only because they are complete innocents.. (yes,
even our new bite to the bones kids....luckily healthy as hell, still
mostly clueless re human skin not tough)

I would ask those who are still experiencing having their babies
euthanized with a cardiac stick to please ask their Vet to change his
method, this from only reading of the last memory pain it appears to
cause

michelle, and the gang of 8, missing way to many.....