Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:22:10 EDT
I have a feeling that you could say that there are as many reasons for
shelters to not utilize volunteers as there are shelters.  Personally it
depends on what the person wants to volunteer for.  I have had one
gentlemen that wanted to bring his 6 yo child to play with the ferrets for
me.  I thanked him and let him know I'd be back to him.  I haven't though,
because all I can picture is one wound up ferret play nipping the child.
Other people have volunteered to play with the ferrets.  The only problem
with that is personally I'm embarrassed by the condition of my personal
living quarters most of the time.  The shelter gets cleaned first, then
if there is time I do my personal living quarters.  So usually things are
dusty etc.  I also have an old dog that I keep away from visitors.

Now - If you want to volunteer to clip nails or clean ears, come on over!!!
That kind of help frees me up to - well maybe clean my house :-)

I hate to think that people who run shelters aren't into people also.
There is so much PR work involved in shelters.  Yes we have to bite our
tongue at times, but I would hope that isn't taken out on innocent people
wanting to volunteer.

So to the person wanting to volunteer, please don't take it to heart.
Maybe the timing wasn't good just then.

Bill Killian wrote:
>We still don't really support the idea of fostering for the most part.
>Ferrets should get placed permanently for their own good.

I agree that the foster placement should be permanent.  Maybe a better
screening on the future foster parents.  I started with fostering.  Finding
foster homes would be #1 on my list of what a volunteer can do.  The
ferrets that would go to foster homes, are basically unadoptable, old or
ill ferrets.  Ferrets taking up space in the shelter and that require more
time and love, ferrets that deserve to have their last years filled with as
much love as they can get, not sharing love with 30+ other ferrets.  These
older or ill guys appreciate each stroke on their heads and usually reward
you with licks of appreciation.  They deserve better than I can give.  My
lap isn't still long enough for any of them to sleep in.  So please, ask
about fostering at your local ferret shelter.  You would not believe how
much it could help.  You will also learn many valuable lessons that will
help you in the future with your own personal ferrets.

Faith
Ferrets R #1 Shelter & Rescue
No. Va.