From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:05:34 +0100
>Sandi wrote:-
>I could even blink, the rabbit had the ferret in her teeth, using her
>powerful hind legs to try to destroy the ferret.  They were about equal in
<snip>
>It's my understanding that ferrets have been used to flush rabbits from
>their burrows, not to "hunt" them.

You certainly have stropy rabbits in the US, however, even wild rabbits over
here can beat up a ferret if they've a mind to but most of 'em bolt and
hopefully end up in a purse net.  Someone else on the FML mentioned shooting
the bolting rabbits - not a good method unless you can trust the guns, some
brain dead idiots with shotguns have been know to shoot the rabbit as it
emerges from the hole and shot the ferret that was following close behind
the rabbit.

You are correct when you say that ferrets are just used to flush rabbits but
not all ferrets are aware that is all they are required to do - my Kurt will
'kill down' if the rabbit doesn't run fast enough, his usual method is the
neck bite.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 20 June, 1998)
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troi, Cameron & Carnath