From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:41:49 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled box bouncers...

(Let's turn the box *over* and bounce on it.  It makes a HUGE racket and
can wake the dead!  Got any dead we can wake up?)

Sandi <[log in to unmask]> mumbled something about:
>I wonder how they are going to introduce these little ones to the wild
>from such a confined beginning?

They have instituted a program whereby they put young Black-Footed
Ferrets into an abaondoned prairie dog home for a period of time.  I
don't think they specifically explained how they feed them prairie dogs,
but it appears that they acclimated the ferrets to prairie dogs as food
and let the ferrets discover how cool it is to live in a prairie dog
town, while still enclosed within a controlled environment.

They have found that, after some disasterous beginnings, that this is
one of the most-effective methods they have used, to get the ferrets not
only used to the proper food, but also how to live in the wild.  The
first attempts at starting a colony failed, but after using this method
of acclimating the ferrets first, the colonies seemed to thrive.

The entire story is on the site and makes for some very interesting
reading! :)

---
Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns

mailto:[log in to unmask]