From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:38:52 -0500
Gad!  I have more mail on the Tui Chewies than most of the diet posts.
Mostly there seems to be two problems; 1) they melt, and 2) no one likes
them (well, ferrets, that is).

For the first problem, make sure to use *BOILING* water so that the maximum
amount of gelatin will dissolve.  Also, add the gelatin until it *NO LONGER*
disolves, then add just a bit more to make sure.  This is called making a
supersaturated solution, and it will start jelling as soon as it starts to
cool.  I have never had them melt on me before, but I think the melting is
due to not ading enough gelatin, using too high a heat setting to dry them,
or both.  I made a new batch last night to see if I could duplicate the
problem, but mine didn't melt.

As for the second problem, you can flavor these things any way you like,
from chicken to beef to kibble.  At first only a few of mine liked them, so
I made a batch heavily flavored with kibble dust, made in a coffee grinder.
They were an immediate hit.  I slowly lowered the kibble portions and
subsituted tiny bits of chicken and chicken broth.  BTW, this also helped
to get some of the harder to convince ferrets to try real chicken.  I have
also made these with finely chopped up dried fruits, like cranberries and
raisins, as well as with tiny shards of beef jerky.

Hope this helps some of you.

Bob C and 20 MO Tui Chewie Clowns