From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:57:52 +1000
Sorry for the delay on this, but I have been away from my computer.  At
first I wasn't going to reply, but it kept eating at me.  So here we go..

>From:    Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Amy, I think the key words in Kim's post were "high incidents".

I noticed that, but thanks for pointing it out.

>You lived in Australia for only a very short time

Does this mean I don't know what I am talking about?  I didn't specify
how grand the numbers were - or how few.  In the first year I have lived
here, I knew of over ten ferrets in Perth alone with insulinoma and just
under ten in Perth with adrenal.  Not to mention ferrets in other parts
of the country.  None of these ferrets were over 5 years old.  Also, a
club member of yours - a committee member, I think - owns/owned a ferret
that had "hypoglycaemia".  When I asked her about the ferret, she told me
it wasn't on meds and there was none available.  When I told her about
Pred, she was keen to try it.  A few months later when I talked to her
again, the ferret still wasn't on meds.

I never said it was an epidemic, Shirley, just that it happens here.
People in Australia (not all) still think it doesn't happen here.
People from America (not all) think ferrets from different countries are
immune.  My point was that they aren't - not to bash Australia, their
vets, owners, or clubs.  Pretty stupid since I fall into that category.
I was just using Australia as an example.

>chose to associate with a ferret club and vets who are less than
>knowledgeable

WHAT?  I was a member of YOUR club.  So the club you support is "less
than knowledgeable"?  WAFFS was the ONLY club I was a member of in
Australia.  I did help out a workmate by doing a newsletter for the club
she started.  By doing this, it doesn't mean I agree with what she
personally does.  I don't.  I have tried to change her and her ways with
little success as I am sure you know.  And FYI I have also kept up with
information from other clubs in Australia.  Or are all the other clubs
"less than knowledgeable" and WAFFS is all knowing?

I have people e-mail and ring me for Aussie ferret information asking me
who to contact.  With a few people I have had them balk when WAFFS is
mentioned.  Why?  Because they all said that in order for them to get a
ferret they have to join your club and take a course.  Or they get an
answering machine with no return call.  Of course this is all hearsay.
And so is the fact that when people ring up the rescue they get an
answering machine with no call-backs.

The vet I dealt with - who also owns ferrets - is "less than
knowledgeable"?  No, I don't think so.  I am sure she and the other vets
that associate with your club will be interested to know that you feel
that way.  I have associated with some of the vets you consider "experts"
and I was not impressed.  I chose the vet I did because she wants to
learn as much as she can, does so, and is good.  How do you expect vets
to learn about ferrets if you never expose them to ferrets?  And FWIW -
ferrets shouldn't get the "chronic snuffles" as so many claim they do
here.  My vet and I were talking about this.  It just isn't normal.  She
thought so, too, and thus this "less than knowledgeable" vet will be
publishing a paper with the bacterial cause shortly.  I suggest you keep
your eyes peeled for the article.

>and, it appears met the very dregs of ferret owners.

Excuse me??  You wouldn't know me if you saw me on the street!  You don't
know me, have never been to my house, have seen three of my ferrets at a
meeting, and have no idea how I keep my ferrets.  Considering the fact
that due to multiple break-ins, not many people (let alone ferret people)
have been to my house, so if hearsay is your excuse, it is pretty limited
and probably not true.  How can you pass judgement when you have never
been to my house and don't know me.

I sincerely offered my help to your club and never was taken up on it.  I
offered my unconditional help in finding your stolen ferrets.  I offered
to run a ferret registry that included microchipping to track bloodlines
(since not many here do so) and to assist in rescue and reuniting.  But
my offer was turned down.  It has been obvious you don't want my help in
any matter and that is fine.

And oh yes - when I mentioned here about starting up a shelter I got a
phone call threatening me not to.  WAFFS wanted the shelter/rescue to
themselves.  That is why you had the major issue with the girl that
started the other club in Perth.  Her club started a rescue service and
so you kicked her out of your club.  Even tho the constitution didn't
state or imply you couldn't be a member of a different club OR start up
your own.  Pretty childish and definitely NOT looking out for the
ferrets.

And speaking of dregs ... what about your member that breeds his jills
twice or more per year?  He had an adrenal ferret and wanted to clunk her
over the head.  She was taken in by "the other club" and had both of her
tumoured glands removed, grew her hair back, became an affectionate
ferret, and lived just about a year longer a very happy girl.  This
member of yours also sells kits at 6 weeks of age.

>Of course Australia has seen adrenals and insulinoms; but seldom, and
>rarely in young ferrets.

Keep in mind there are fewer ferrets in Australia than in America.  So a
rate of 1,000 in 1,000,000 is much different than 10 in 1,000.  These
states are - obviously - not indicating anything.  Just an example of
numbers.

>Like any country, there are vets who chose not to learn about ferrets
>and then there are our angel vets who keep right up there with the
>latest knowledge.  Didn't you care to meet any of them?

I did.  See my above statement about not being impressed.

>Canine 3 and 4-way shots have been used by the West Australian Ferret &
>Ferreting Society for our twice yearly group immunisation days over the
>last 10 years involving over 2,000 ferrets.  Never once have we had an
>adverse reaction or imminisation failure, so there is no way that we
>consider the practice harmful in any way.

This is a wonderful record that I hope you can keep.  I would never in
100 years inject my ferrets with a 3- or 4-way vaccination.  I don't know
what the other stuff in the vaccination will do in the long run.  I had
mine specially ordered so they were just the CDV vaccines.  And never in
100 years would I take my ferret to a "vaccination days" to be stressed
with heaps of people wanting to see them and having a vet want to "get
thru them all" in a reasonable time.  From seeing vaccination reactions
in the US, stress is the last thing I want my ferrets to be going thru
when being vaccinated.  I have heard of reactions here.  They are rare -
but you can't say they never happen.

>Because of this, we actively work to prevent a "ferret" vaccine being
>brought in from overseas.  "If it's not broken, don't fix it."  We don't
>need the adverse reactions to immunisations which are seen in other
>countries.

I didn't suggest bringing in vaccinations.  Just using a CDV vaccine.
There is a difference.

How dare you insult me, my vet, and my beliefs - especially in public.
A public apology would be in order.  Anything less would be equally
insulting.

Amy Flemming