Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:19:54 EDT
May Day May Day
Greater Chicago Ferret Association sent their 'Off the Paw' newsletter out,
and according to their letter they are in BIG trouble.  They are doing
something they have tried Not to do all the years they have been open:
They are telling people that they have NO room to take their ferrets!!!!.
!!!!!!!    !!!!!!!!  !!!!!!!!!   !!!!!!!!    !!!!!!!!! !!!!    !!!!!!!! !!!

I understand that they have about 80 ferrets right now.  People are calling
and threatening "I have to get rid of them now one way or another."  Ferrets
are probably being thrown out to die out or killed outright.  There is no
other shelter here to take all of these poor little ones.

I was just at the Petco stores last night to educate employees and make
sure ferts are O.K.  My sources tell me that PETCO has just declared that
ferrets are among their top ten selling" ITEM."  They are very proud of
this.

I asked if the corporate people telling them this meant animal, pet, living
being??  No.  The ferret is not a living being, pet, or animal to PETCO.
It is an "item."

All the" items" were sold out, and have been selling within days of being
brought into this area.  Petco is pretty much the only pet store left
selling animals after underpricing smaller shops out of business for a year
or more.  Their prices now around here are ungodly.

GCFA is getting stuck with all of these unwanted "items" and no longer has
room AND desperately needs more money!!!.

To all of you out there promoting the sales and popularity of ferts--if you
are in Illinois --or even if you are not:please try and place some of these
"items" that you are promoting.  Or donate some much needed money to GCFA.
I have never seen such a desperate newsletter.

The phone number there is 1-708-442-8650.  They are also on www.GCFA.com.
The lives of many ferrets depend on all of us.

Looking for a ferret in Illinois, Michigan, or Wisconsin or Indiana???
PLEASE ADOPT.  Tell your friends to adopt.  GCFA has many young ferrets
for you and yours that need good homes NOW.

Please Help

Lisette