From:
Mattias Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:05:47 +0200
>From:    John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Further comments about hypocrisy

I agree with you 100%.

I think it is remarkable that Performance Foods sends an anonymous post
to this list with an apology, and maybe even more remarkable that nobody
reacts.  An anonymous apology?

Everybody that works with crisis management and PR knows that any message
intended for the public needs to have an "owner", in other words somewhere
that concerned people can turn to, in this case ferret owners.  This is
usually a phone number, but in these days (and especially when posted on
an email list) it becomes even more common to include a "special" email
address.

There was no phone number, no email address, no url to the corporate
website.  For me, it has the same validity as if some one I don=B4t know
calls me up on my answering machine and claims that Dr so and so is really
sorry for what happened... Without introducing themselves and without even
bother to give me a phone number to call them back on.

Notice to BIG: I think that your work on this list actually assures us that
it indeed was Performance Foods behind that post, but why did they want it
anonymously posted?  (Rhetorical question)

/Mattias

[Moderator's note: Actually, I don't know for SURE it was from them, but
it was forwarded from a source I believe to be reliable.  If I had serious
doubts I would have called Performance Foods/Dr. Willard to make sure.

A long time ago Performance Foods used to post directly on the FML but they
were pretty much banned from posting due to the commercial nature of their
posts.  This was before I was moderating the FML, and although I found
their posts to be valuable at time, I did feel their posts often led back
to promoting their product.

Now, that was a long time ago and before they were as firmly established
in the ferret community.  Plus, the former moderator was probably also
slightly stricter about advertising than I might be (though I certainly
would enforce limits too).  But if I had to guess, I'd say the whole
episode back then kinda left a bad taste in their mouths (pardon the pun)
and they still would rather not post directly because of it.  This is just
speculation on my part and I certainly would welcome a clarification from
them, or almost any other post from them which meets the list's guidelines.
Perhaps that is still to come.  BIG]

Mattias Lindstrom
(=C5)bylundsvegen 241
SE-137 32 V=E4sterhaninge
Tel: +46-8-50 02 02 10, +46-70-625 40 93
Fax: +46-706 10 40 50
http://come.to/reptilen for reptilinformation
http://go.to/familjehem for information om familjehem
http://www.egroups.com/group/kameleonter for information om kameleonter