From:
Kylie Preisig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 03:08:38 -0000
Paul Murfett - I have tried emailing you at the address you posted to the
FML from but it keeps bouncing.  Please email me as I'd like to talk some
more about legalising Queensland ferrets.

>Aussie numbers in the FML: Hey, there is NO reason why the numbers
>(18+)can't make a difference

Well, the 18+ must be a quiet, shy bunch of people!

>and certainly when people want to discuss matters in their own countries
>there is absolutely NO reason why they should notjust plain speak up and
>do so.

Well, the biggest issue facing ferret keeping in Australia at the moment
(other than the Queensland ban) is the Quarantine Service review of the
importation of ferrets.  As there is now an effective vaccine for rabies
and a quarantine period the ban of ferrets has come up for consideration.

My first reaction to that, was that it was a great idea.  It would mean
people like my friend Hank who has ferrets in Indonesia may be able to
bring them back into the country, and other people who would like to
immigrate can bring all their pets.  But other people from the WA Ferret
and Ferreting society pointed out that there are some other nasty diseases
such as ECE and Adrenal disease which the USA has but Australia does not,
and it would be good for our ferrets if we could keep these diseases out.
This was the official response that the club returned to the Quarantine
Service.

What do other people think?  Is importing a good or bad idea?

Kylie Preisig
Brisbane, Queensland

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums