From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:45:13 -0500
Sounds like it could be an apocrine tumor or apocrine cyst, though
squamous cell is also among the other possibilities. Of that grouping,
I'd hope for an apocrine cyst. Yes, definitely, have it checked to
find out WHICH possible origin it is.

Here is some slightly old info:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG133

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG4004

and there are more there.

Dog flu/canine influenza is a variation of an influenza that was
previously exclusively equine (equine influenza virus, H3N8) according
to all I can find, but ask your vet, and if still unsure your vet can
contact Edward Dubovi at Cornell University's Animal Health Diagnostic
Center in Ithaca, New York who researches this illness. Canine
influenza can be spread among dogs by many routes, even from humans who
have recently handled a sick dog and have not cleaned and changed well
enough. It is highly contagious with close to 100% infection rate but
about 80% get a mild illness that is confused with kennel cough (about
a quarter of that number can be silent carriers). About 20% of dogs get
serious infection.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Sept05/Dog_Flu.kr.html

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/aflu/Zoonosis.htm

http://focosi.altervista.org/veterinarymedicine_carnivora.html

Ferrets get Avian Influenza as do humans, digs, cats, large felines,
and pigs as well as birds and some others, but so far I can't find
them getting dog flu, but do check and let us all know what you learn.
There is always room for more data. Ferrets are actually safer than
many other pet species in terms of zoonoses, BTW, and some disease
that both ferrets and humans get are more likely to pass from human to
ferret than vice versa.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/healthandsafetyissues/f/zoonosis.htm

http://www.wvu.edu/~rc/acuc/occ_ferrets.htm

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/dora/FERRPAGE/zoon.html

<http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/rabies/pdf/qvra-rabies.pdf>
(esp starting on page 39)

http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/3035/bushmeat/bush4.html

> [Not sure how Sukie is involved, but anonymous it is :-)  BIG]

Maybe the person confused the Ferret MAILING List with the Ferret
HEALTH List? We regularly get OT posts sent to the FHL that the
sender meant to send to the FML, Bill.

On the FML Bill Gruber is the moderator.

On the FHL the moderators are Pam Sessoms; Mike Janke; Dr. Bruce
Williams, DVM; Troy Lynn Eckart; Patty Kaczorowski; and I.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: