From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 09:50:14 EDT
>1) I use PROGRAM for CATS on my fur balls.  You SHOULD NOT use Program for
>dogs.  Ferrets and Cats need a higher dosage of the medicine.  You should
>note that Program doesn't kill fleas, it affects the eggs so the fleas can't
>reproduce.  Your kids can still CATCH fleas.

I live in a "flea area" and worked for a vet up til about a month ago.  I
do not understand why you wrote that you should not give Program to dogs?
I especially do not understand why cats and ferrets need *higher* dosages.
They're smaller than dogs, and of course ferrets are smaller than cats,
therefore should require a *smaller* dosage.  If you notice on the label,
the dosage is according to the weight of the animal.  You are correct in
that Program does *not* kill fleas, it only acts as birth control--the flea
still has to bite the animal to get the drug.

>2) Put a moth ball in the bag of your vacuum and vacuum regularly.
>3) Use Dr. Donner's Peppermint Soap when you bathe the kids.

Don't know anything about those two.  But, a better solution and more long
term than moth balls would be to get a spray from the vet--Ectokyl,
Knockout, Siphotrol, something along those lines.  They kill existing fleas
and contain IGR's (Insect Growth Regulators) that act as birth control for
the fleas that haven't hatched yet and lasts for 6 months.  The spray is
not harmful to the animals and leaves no residue or smell.  Bombs are
pretty ineffective as the chemical falls straight down thus not gettting to
where fleas hide which is under things such as couches, in the cushions of
couches etc.  Bombs leave residues and *everyone and everything* has to
leave the premesis while being bombed.

>However, Advantage is a topical so it will not penetrate beyond the top
>layers of skin

Advantage works via the hair shafts, so it never even gets into the layers
of skin, as far as I know.

>Also, I can tell you for certain that Advantage is not harmful to cats,
>dogs, rabbits, and people (have gotten plenty on myself over time.)

I have seen what could have been a reaction to Advantage on a siamese cat,
although I think it was having a reaction to fleas, but to be on the safe
side we discontinued the Advantage for the time being, and the guy would
never try it again just to make sure , so we will never know.  That in mind,
remember that any animal can have a reaction to any drug.

>Of course, you do not want to allow them to lick at the application spot
>(usually the back of the head to prevent licking.)

We put the drug about an inch behind and centered between the ears for cats
and ferrets because of their flexibility.

>A disadvantage is that Advantage is limited in its water resistance. It
>generally loses it efficacy after about 2 washings.

Advantage lasts for about a month and we probably shouldn't bathe our
ferrets more often than that, so Advantage is a good choice.  Advantage does
not leave a residue on the animal and works in less than 24 hours.  When I
treat my guys, I use the small cat size and divide the dosage in half.  I
have not seen a flea in 3 years using Advantage and one of the sprays.
There is another product called Top Spot that works using the sebacious
glands of the animal.  Since ferrets have such dry skin, that is probably a
bad choice.  It also leaves a residue for a day or two and takes 24-48 hours
to work.  It does get ticks though, but how many people have a tick problem
with ferrets?  There is another "new" product called Sentinal which is
basically Program repackaged because the drug companies cannot get rid of it
due to the Advantage and Top Spot.

Sandy