From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 09:56:16 EDT
I wish there was a hardcore way to gather information for fun also.  But
you can't if there are no standardized tools to actually measure a ferrets
intelligence.  It's a shame.  I have recieved a very broad spectrum of
answers with deaf ferrets.  I find that very curious.  It seems people
rate most of their hearing ferrets as average (as should be,,, ), but
when it comes to deaf ferrets I'm seeing extremes so far.  People rate
them as low as 1 and as high as 5.

Why would this be?  I'm wondering if its a sink or swim situation for
them (the ferrets)... either sharpen your mind to overcompensate for the
hearing loss, or walk around in a daze.  Or it may all be in perception of
the owner that accounts for this.  It maybe that there are differneces due
to living situations... whether they are in ferret groups or not.  Or it
may be due to severity of deafness and WS that has determined this.

At first glance, I thought I was seeing that when there is profound
hearing loss, and an accumilation of WS physical traits, they were more
likely to be rated low.  But that's not appearing so strongly anymore in
peoples replies.  So I'm clueless right now.

I can tell you I find a dominating subject in most replies.  That is that
ferrets with profound deafness and strong physical traits of WS, are
percieved to be odd in behavior when in group situations.  They are
percieved to be underdeveloped socially to some owners.  In other words,
they are missing social cues so as when to quit playing, when others are
not in the mood to play, and the opposite..  when the rest are playing
these ferrets are found to be aloof.  Many walk around as if in a "fog"
at times.  Some go as far to say that their ferrets don't participate in
as much ferrety activity as others.  In other words there is lack of
stealing, lack of hiding things, etc..  I think that sounds all very
logical, and what I would expect.  I have witnessed this also with my
ferrets.  It's an independent observation from intelligence observations.
But I find it interesting.  :)

I'll keep you updated if I see anything differently.  I was hoping to see
a more clear picture of this.  I'm a bit surprised by what I"m seeing.
What a mystery.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/