From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:45:13 -0700
>From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>I'm sorry, I know this is not the Wolfy everyone knows... I feel like
>I'm yelling into the wind with this information.  I can't imagine the
>exasperation those affected by ADV are.
>Please visit: http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/

Hi Wolfy!  Wow, what a beautiful website you've made.  That "Dances with
Wolves" theme music gets me every time, and your pages and valentines for
Sean are also very moving.  I couldn't get other links to work once I was
there, though I did get into Sean's first Valentine's page, and I'm glad
I did :)  I'll revisit for Part II, and for the ADV links.

I just wanted to say that I could put a paragraph about ADV in the intro
section of the Ferret Adrenal/Insulinoma Mailing List (FAIML) I moderate.
Every time I send a list, the intro paragraph would be included.  I can put
the link to your ADV page there as well, and links for research donations.
Just let me know what links would be best to include, and what info for a
short paragraph, if you would.  I began really sitting up after the Ferrets
2000 conference, coming to the frightening realization that ADV is real,
deadly, at this point much of a mystery, and spreading among ferrets,
apparently coast to coast.  In the same FML that you posted in yesterday
I saw that ADV is now in Washington State, where I live!  What a terror.
Thank you to you, Wolfy, and to Judy G., and others who are working so hard
to get the word out.  It's brave of Judy to share her stories, as I imagine
it must hurt so much to go through.  Just going through my first mystery
of adrenal disease, and realizing by making many calls in Seattle that few
vets had knowledge of the disease, and many fewer, surgical experience, was
such an isolating, sad, and helpless feeling.  But there were things known
about adrenal disease, and things that could be done; it was just a matter
of accessing the info and an experienced vet, so I started the internet
list, FAIML, as a knowledge-sharing bridge.  But with ADV so little is
known that I can only begin to imagine what it must feel like to face it in
your beloved fur kids.  My heart goes out to those who are going through
this.

I salute those who are at the forefront of this disease, organizing the
research and donation sites, spreading the word, doing the research,
donating, doing other work.  Oh, and Troy Lynn, I'm so glad that Tigger
is negative, though sorry he is still wasting.  We, too, had ECE, a few
years back.  Of ten ferrets, I later lost a fur kid to lympho, one to
cardiomyopathy, still have one with seedy poops (we've tried to figure
it out), five had or have adrenal disease, two insulinoma.  I will never
really know what ECE may have had to do with any of the later illnesses, if
anything.  We got lucky and caught it early and were able to get through it
in a few weeks, which may have helped in terms of longterm damage.  That's
thanks to people getting the info out about it so I recognized it right
away and had an idea what to do.  I'll never forget that incredible
battle you waged with ECE, Troy Lynn, saving every one of your fuzzies!
Absolutely incredible.  My heart goes out to little Tigger, and you...
and I'll send a prayer with this message for you both.

I wonder if those who are not yet realizing how ADV could impact the ferret
community are those that have not been through a devastating bout of ECE,
and/or seen or experienced many other serious ferret diseases.  Having been
through these things I read about ADV and my soul shudders.  Start sending
those prayers out to the stars, people, and those dollars in for donations.

Lynn and the Sweet Gang of Five, and Antique Cat Wellington (I'm 19!)