From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 02:16:39 -0600
Hello,

Just a word of support to animal lovers who are facing the decision of
euthanizing their pet.  If you have a sick or older pet, who you feel will
soon need to be put down, discuss this in advance with your vet.  Ask the
costs, the methods, and what to expect from your animal as they undergo
this final treatment.  You can also discuss how you wish to take care of
your loved ones remains.  You should be able to take the body home, have a
special cremation done ( and receive your pet's ashes, with or without an
urn ), or have the vet dispose of the body.  I feel that if you wish to be
with your animal, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY YOUR RIGHT !  If your vet tells you
you cannot be present find another vet if time permits.  I can understand
vets being concerned about hysterical people physically interfering with
the process, but you can have a third party present, like the technician,
or a relative.  Unfortunately last spring my first baby boy Tigger had to
be put down.  Even though it was at the after hours emerg.  clinic and not
my regular vet, all the decisions were mine.  I filled out the paper work
ahead of time, was asked what I wished to do with the remains ( I took them
home), and paid.  After only 4 1/2 sweet years with my Tigger, I held his
already comatose body while the vet gave him the shot.  I don't remember
anything about the needle.  I was more concerned about getting my baby
home, where he died in my bed.  I later had a special cremation done at the
local Humane Society.  Then in Sept.  I had to put Fredo down.  He was at
least 7 and very sick.  I did the same as with Tigger, but Fredo passed
very quickly at the vets office.  Neither of my boys had any reaction to
the needle.  Euthanasia should not be violent, and I did not find it to be
so.  I was also present when my parents 15 year old dog was put down 2
weeks ago.  Again, she showed no signs of pain, though there were more
obvious muscle spasms as the life left her body.

Noone wants to think about the end of a loved ones life, but making
decisions before can remove added stress, and allow you to prepare
financially.  I was far from calm when I had to say good bye to my boys.  I
missed quite a bit of work with Tigger's illness and death, and if I wasn't
in the union, I might have lost my job.  Having made my decisions before
they got sick however, made a least that part easier.  Only time can take
care of the rest.

Lara