From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 07:13:20 -0500
I never thought I would ever have to post a story like this.....welcome to
my nightmare.....

Last Saturday morning, my 3 albino girls (Angel, Heaven, and Halo) were
playing.  I picked up Heaven and Halo and started playing kissy-face with
them, and didn't see Angel at that moment.  I stepped down, right on Angel.
She ran under the couch and I got her out to check her and she was going
into shock rapidly.  She didn't move and was turning white.  I grabbed my
coat and Angel and rushed her to the vet.  She was in my lap the whole way
and didn't move.  I cried all the way to the vet praying to God not to let
her die.

When I got there, she was given steroids and fluids to help bring her out of
shock.  I asked for an xray but was told it was too stressful at that time.
I called later and was told she was stable, but also that they wouldn't do
anything over the weekend.  I went and got her because I didn't want her to
die alone if that should happen.  I gave her fluids and injs as instructed
and she was eating ok, urinating/defecating ok, and took her back Monday AM
for a followup, fully expecting an xray.  Her tummy had a bruise from the
top of her chest all the way down to the vagina.  My vet palpated her (which
made me cringe) and tapped her belly, got nothing, and said she was fine.  I
asked for an xray and he said I was over-reacting, it wasn't necessary, made
me feel like a fool for wanting one, etc.

I took her home, and a few hours later, didn't like the way she looked.  She
didn't look right; I kept watching her and noticed she was beginning to
whimper, she started grinding her teeth (bad sign) and when I tried to give
her some Nutrical, she gagged.  I called the vet at 5:15 PM and said she was
crashing on me.  I was told to bring her in at 8:30 PM AFTER ROUTINE
APPOINTMENTS.  I was also told they would only do comfort care, which I
could do just as easily do at home - surgery wasn't necessary or indicated.

I hung up and called Pat Nothnagle (Obadiah's Ferret Rescue and Shelter) in
Brockport, and she got hold of her vet.  Although Dr.  Edwards had already
left for the day, he came back to see Angel.  He took one look at her, said
she was trying to die, and said, "This ferret needs an x-ray!" He found free
air in her abdomen and said something was seriously wrong.  He said if he
didn't go inside, she would die for sure, but he wasn't sure if she could
handle surgery at this point and might die anyway.  I knew it was all over
for Angel at that point, but I had to try.  While he was prepping her for
surgery, she died.....

An autopsy showed a big hole in her stomach.  We think what happened is that
a loop of intestine blocked the hole, and when she was palpated Monday AM,
it loosened out, causing stomach contents to spill into the abdomen.  She
went into septecemic shock and rapidly declined.

I can't help but feel if an xray had been done Saturday, or even Monday AM,
she could have had a chance.  Monday AM, she was stable enough to handle
surgery, but not by Monday PM...

This is unforgivable....I have lost all trust and confidence in the former
vet and I don't understand why he blew me off when I said she was crashing.
The only phone call I received from them was one asking where I was Monday
night, and it would have been nice if I had called saying I wasn't coming in.

A few days later I called asking for lab results on another ferret, ws asked
where I was Monday night, told the story, and was told she probably wouldn't
have lived if they had done surgery when I called in the PM - I said, maybe
not, but she might have if it had been done in the AM, but now we'll never
know.  I was also asked why I didn't call them if she was having so much
trouble....I THOUGHT that's what I was doing at 5:15!!!!!!!

I am just SICK about this.....I blame myself for stepping on her in the
first place (for which the former vet laughing called me Big Foot - no
sympathy there) but I also think she might have had a chance if an xray
had been done.

I have to think she didn't die in vain - I have a wonderful NEW VET now, in
Dr.  Edwards, who I don't feel will blow me off if I call with a problem.
Some old friendships were re-established as well, so I have to think
positively.  But I am sick about this and will never forgive the other vet.

He should have listened to me - even if he thought I was over-reacting, he
should have humored me and seen me right away.  I'd been going there 11 yrs
and have sent him a lot of business, and even if he thought I was over-
reacting, he should have seen me anyway.

So, dear vets on line, even if you see a pet in the AM and it looks ok, if
an owner calls back in the PM, PLEASE LISTEN!  Mom knows best - she knows
her kids and knows when something isn't right.  Please don't blow off your
clients know matter what you think.

And ferret parents, if you don't like what your vet is doing - or NOT doing,
find another one who WILL listen to you.

Sorry for the length, but this has been eating at me all week and I needed
to get it out.  While this won't bring Angel back, maybe it will help
another fuzzy out there.

And a very special thank you to Dr. Allen Edwards of Brockport Animal
Hospital who DID listen.  I only wish I'd called him sooner.

Debbie Riccio