From:
Michael & Carolyn Dimmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 01:51:44 -0600
Well I'm posting this in hope that someone with some experience and
generious resourses can help.  When we rescued Iolaus (e' ol' us), we
noticed that his upper canines were gone.  One broke off at the gum line,
and the other missing all together.  One small purpose for them was to hold
the upper lips out of the way so the lower canines could come up and nestle
neatly in his mouth.

This week we will probably have to have the other canines removed because he
is bitting his upper lips and is in extreme pain.  He's trying to chew his
food but when his lip gets in the way, he rolls on his back and scratches at
his mouth.  We found blood on him tonight for the first time.  There are
times that we think he is trying chew something, buy he is only trying to
get his lower canines in his mouth and off his upper lips.  We noticed some
cuts on the upper lips when we first got him, but we didn't know how they
got there.

Is there a way to give him a cap on the broken tooth, and some how open the
gums and "screw" a metal tooth to the jaw bone then let the gums heal over?
Does anybody do this sort of thing or know anyone who does?

If not, how will he do defending himself with no canaines at all?  I've
heard of other rescues with missing teeth, but how do they get along with
others?  Do they use canines to break food up?

We live in Missoula Montana and can be contacted by e-mail:

Thank you

Michael