Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:21:10 -0700
[3 posts combined.  BIG]

Wow, many things to address here.  I am so thankful for this ADV
discussion to help keep my mind off of grief.

The furkids give me a snicker even now as I write as Boo runs through a
tube with Maggie May ( the cat ) tackling it with fruitless effort to
capture Boo who is gleefully scurrying through the tube, tail wagging.
They are such very special creatures.  Thanks to all of you who have
sent cards and poems and support.  I don't know what I'd do without you.

>I think you are being unfair to those who are trying to do the right
>thing, taking the time to test,

I am not being unfair and I did not negate the efforts of those that are
testing.  What I said was that there are some shelters, notice I mentioned
no names (unnecessary because they know who they are)who because they have
the ability to do all the testing, will use that same as a tool to cut
down the other rescues that are struggling to have the funds to do the
testing.

>Are the tests 100%?  of course not, no test is.  Is there any major
>problems with the tests out there?  I don't think so.

This is the first I've heard of United thanks to Danee and his wonderful,
informative response he sent via email.  THANK YOU!!!

Avecon does have problems, MAJOR ones.  I know through the experiences of
friends and those problems WERE with the saliva test.

>If the tests have a 2-3% false negative rate, then there is a 2% chance
>you miss a ferret, if you don't test there is a 100% chance you miss
>that ferret.

I absolutely agree.  Again, I am not negating the importance of testing
in general.  I'm questioning the accuracy and from what I've seen it needs
alot of improvement for the bucks they are charging.  Do you run a rescue?
Have you ever had to weigh the importance of spending $ on one health
issue or another?  I recall a post this past week where the shelter owner
was so beside themselves with worry about ADV that they were in a mental
quandry about spending $ on ADV testing versus a much needed surgery.
How awful can that feeling be?  That broke my heart.

>If you don't test for ADV at least be honest to a perspective adoptee
>and tell them, and let them test or pay a little more for the test

I am honest with all of my prospective adoptees and I have it in a
contract also.  Again, I never said I have not tested for ADV.  It is
being done as funds allow.

>but to say that those who are testing are wrong for doing so is short
>sighted and just as wrong as me judging those who don't test.

I NEVER said that anyone was wrong for doing the testing.

>I don't think we should rely on the tests to feel "safe" at a show.

You're right about that.  There are too many chances for stupid people to
falsify paperwork as there is no standard in place for verification of
testing and vaccines.  You also have to rely on everyone to be as careful
as you are.  Sorry but i don't trust the general public that much.

>As far as the distemper and vaccine part of the post, it is irresponsible
>and ridiculous.

If you feel that way then you should inquire with your vet.  5 strains of
Distemper.  The vaccine protects against ONE.  FACT.

>As far as research of vaccinated ferrets and health issues I would love
>to know more about this.  Who is doing the study, how many animals
>involved??  Do tell.

This has been done by my friend's rescue and something I have observed
through personal experience.  I happened to find it extremely enlightening
and wished to share it with the public.  He will not get involved on
anything internet related.  Period.  End of story.

>I am not saying that there are not adverse effects from vaccinating, Iam
saying that the benefits much outweigh those risks.

But there is one way to remove the risk.  Don't take your ferrets out of
doors=no vaccination health risk and no risk to exposure.

>in my mind those ferrets are entrusted to that shelter to do the right
>thing,

I agree and the distemper vaccine has PROVEN to cover only 1 strain of 5
of distemper.  AGain, I did not say that my kids are not vaccinated.  I
am merely presenting an option.

>like forgoing proven medical treatments for herbals,to take no chances
>with unproven,unscientific approaches to their care to not vaccinating
>or not using conventional treatments for illness.

Since there has been no scientific "proven medical treatment" for curing
cancer and the majority of "medical treatment" only seems to accelerate
the spread of the disease I will always endorse herbal methods.  Are they
always a cure?  No.  It depends on the stages of the disease but I feel
that the herbals at least offers hope to those ferrets ( and their
companions) that would otherwise have been deemed terminal.  There is
much to be said on the positive effects of herbals.  Many treatments have
been "proven".  Denying the kids ANY type of medication, "proven medical"
or herbal is unfair.  It is not up to anyone, rescue or animal companion
to play God in the life of our ferrets.  THe animals deserve for ALL
measures to save their life to be explored.