Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:12:47 -0500
Q: "Just wondering how the food study is going (went?)?  I sent in a sample
    and am really interested in your findings."

A: Well, er, ah, the ferrets ate my homework....

Not true.  Actually, part of the test requires the destruction of the food,
and prior to that stage, I am testing for hardness.  Unfortunately, some
"wimpy" graduate student thought their experiment "needed" the hardness
tester for their dissertation, so "took" it before I had the chance to
smash kibble.  How rude!  That's why I want to own my own lab.

Seriously, I've talked to the person and the hardness tester will be
returned before the end of the semester and I will be able to complete
the survey.  I appreciate all the help I have been given and I don't want
anyone to think the project has be forgotten or abandoned.  It has not.

The problem for me is, I want to be absolutely fair to all the food
manufacturers, so I have to be able to back up all my statements.  For
example, if I say food X is harder than food Y and is therefore worse on
the teeth, it could cause a decline in sales.  If I was wrong because my
sample was too small or my methods or my measurements were faulty, I have
harmed someone unjustly.  I will not do that.  So, to make sure what I say
is correct and true, I work slowly and carefully and document each step.
Unfortunately, that takes time and lots of precise work.

Because my final test results in the destruction of the kibble, I cannot
to it before testing the kibble for hardness.  So, I am temporarily stuck.
But stuck isn't forgotten.

Bob C and 15 Mo' Hardly Tested Mustelids