From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:12:55 -0700
There is no handbook given to those that take in surrendered ferrets or
rescue them. For the most part, there are no laws regulating in-home
ferret shelters, and as a result, there are hundreds of independent
shelters/rescues/sanctuaries serving the community throughout the
nation and Canada. Of course, this varies from state to state, and
then the locales within the states. So for the most part, there is no
direction or format for ferret sheltering.

Have you ever wondered what was expected of you, once you decide to
take in surrendered/rescued ferrets? Could you use some advice, or,
would you like to share your experience and help the shelter community
grow more knowledgeable and effective?

On the Ferret Shelter Council Forum
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Shelter_Council/ , for the
next few weeks we are welcoming discussions on the following topics:

"Aleutian's Disease Virus - Which Test and Why?"

"Minimal Standard of Care"

With input from the shelters that have existed for many years, as well
as those that are recently new, we hope to have a positive influence
with the way shelters are operated, and as a result, what we can expect
from your service to the community. In times of emergency and urgent
need, we turn to the shelter closest to the problem for support.
Regardless of size, in an emergency your shelter can help make a
difference.

This discussion is meant to enlighten, educate and influence. These
current topics being discussed are timely, and we welcome any
shelter/rescue/sanctuary of any size to come and participate. This
way we can help each other and establish an otherwise non-existent
comaraderie between the support entities.

So with that said, regardless of whether you are caring for 5 or 50
ferrets, come share the experience of this forum and what it's
offering. We look forward to seeing you there!

Affectionately,

Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
Ferret Council Member