From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:52:46 -0500
Q: "Are there any myths the real ones I mean thjat have ferrets in them?"

A: Once I decipher their language, I'll ask them...

Yes, or so some new translations of the original Aesop's Fables seem to
indicate.  But aside from these, and a few odd bits of folklore, ferrets
have been generally missed in the mythology department.  If you widen the
scope to include polecats and various weasels, you can get more, but for
the most part, there is not a lot to pick from regarding ferrets.

As for Aesop's fables, trusting the translations is difficult because the
fables have been orally transmitted as well as in written form, and they
have been translated in various ways over time.  For example, I have 6
different translations of the fables on my shelf.  In 2 of them, you can
find a fable called "The asp and the file." In 3 others, "weasel" is
subsituted for "asp." In the last one, the animal is translated as
"house-ferret." In the last translation, it was from the oldest known
copies of the original Greek using modern interpretations of the words.

In the Middle Ages when Greek was being translated by wealthy nobles with
nothing to do but order peasants around, many of the fables were changed to
reflect local cultural attitudes regarding animals.  Snakes were always
used to indicate an evil or sinister animal, dogs to indicate loyalty, cats
to suggest witchcraft, etc.  Therefore, I think the use of "house-ferret"
in some of the Aesop stories is probably the most accurate.  I am currently
at a loss to explain why ferrets were often overlooked in middle age
European stories and folklore, since both historical records and various
art pieces indicate they were there.  Perhaps someone better versed in
mythology or folklore can provide an answer.

If you are interested in reading more about ferret myths, I suggest you
look into the FML archives.  This subject has already been discussed in
detail in past FMLs.  Or perhaps a FML member interested in Ferret Folklore
can discuss it further.  You can always checkout from your library the
latest translations of Aesop to read them first hand.  I am always
interested in learning new ferret folklore, so please post new discoveries
in the matter.

Q: "Do you think vets should specialize in ferrets?  I can't seem to find
    a single vet who knows much about them..."

A: I more I learn, the more I recognize I have to learn.

It is a tremendous cost to run a vet clinic, much less a vet hospital.
Most hospitals allow human doctors free use, but there are few (if any)
vet hospitals which do the same thing.  To cover costs, a vet *MUST* have
as wide a client draw as possible.  The vet that speciallizes in ferrets
would go broke simply because there are not enough sick ferrets.

The truth is, most mammals have extremely similar physiologies.  The vet
learns a common physiology and anatomy, THEN learns the differences for
each species (We are talking about mammals.  Adding birds, amphibians,
reptiles or fish complicates things).  From what I have experienced, read,
and been told, ferrets are similar enough to cats and dogs so that anyone
good with one does well with the other.  Excluding those drugs which may be
toxic to specific species and not others, most drugs used can be used for
all pet carnivores because doses are calculated by the animal's weight.  In
my rather limited view, it would be better to have a good vet with limited
ferret experience than have a mediocre vet with lots of ferret experience.

When I visit my vet, I also bring a small knapsack containing my ferret
medical references, including Fox's book and others (I will be adding Dr.
Purcell's book to the bundle soon).  I also have photocopies of recent
papers on the various ferret diseases.  I make those references available
to my vet during the visit and they freely photocopy those passages they
need to consult.  I don't do this because I think my vets are incompetent.
They most certainly are not.  But I recognize that ferrets are just a small
aspect of their practice, so I do my part to make sure they have the latest
information.  Now, I am not pushy, nor do I imply my vets are so
incompetent that they need to read the information in order to get the
diagnosis correct.  What I do is open the knapsack and say, "Look what I
found since last time!" Since the articles cover a range of ferret health
topics, there are no bad implications.  My ferrets are worth it.

This does two things.  First, it lets the vet know that you consider your
ferret important enough to make sure you have the latest information on
their care.  A lot of the vets I know are frustrated with pet owners who
consider their animals as property, not living beings.  Vets generally like
to see owners taking a positive role in caring for their pet.  Second, some
vets have a difficult time keeping up with specific treatments for specific
"exotic" species because they are so busy and are actually thankful you
might have some information which might be helpful.

Now, in all honesty, some vets may not like clients who have a strong
involvement with their pet health care.  Some doctors are the same way.
But I believe that there are 3 important aspects to ferret (or pet) health
care; the vet, the owner, and the relationship between the vet and the
owner.  You need all three in good working order to get the best results.
Don't be afraid to ask your vet to explain something to you, or to show you
xrays or other diagnostic tests.  If you have a hard time with
medical/veterinary terminology, buy an inexpensive dictionary and bring it
with you.  Also bring a notepad and write down what your vet tells you.
If you don't understand a word, ask them to write it down or to spell it.
What is especially important is to write down diagnoses and drug dosages
and times; you would be surprised at how many people accept a drug, then
run home to call or write me to find out what it is.  Just ask your vet.

The important thing to be be a part of the ferret health management team.
As the owner of the ferret, it is your duty to be an advocate for them;
don't let them down.

Bob C and 18 MO' Puzzoli Punks