From:
Kelly Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 14:50:51 -0700
Thanks for the post about your ferret with the pred belly, I was wondering
if diuretics would be helpful, but it sounds like they would not.  I still
don't have a good answer as to why or what this condition is caused by.  My
vet suggested it was somewhat due to muscle wasting and the skin becomes
very thin, causing the "belly" to sag down.  I'm not sure I buy this
explanation, it still feels more like a fluid build up to me.  Anyone else
have any ideas on the relationship between prednisone and large bellys in
their lymphoma ferrets?  It doesn't seem to slow my ferret down, but it
sure looks darn uncomfortable.

To Kory: I am sorry to hear about your ferret, Q.  Your story struck a
special chord with me, as we too just recently lost our ferret, also named
Q to complications following an adrenal surgery.  She also went into
respiratory distress before we could get her back to the vet.  It was an
awful experience and you have my sympathy.  Our "Q" was an albino female,
named for "Q" in the James Bond movies.  Her cagemate of course, was Mr.
Bond, a very handsome silver mitt,

"Q" wasn't as pretty, but she was the real brains behind the operation,
and the reason we got the pair in the first place.  Just couldn't resist
her lively personality.  She is missed very much by Mr. Bond and me!

I know this is long, but this also brings up a personal observation.  My
husband and I have had ferrets for 15 years, and so far have had a total
of 21 (currently have 8).  We have had at least 6 known adrenal cases and
only one (Q) was an early neuter from MF.  I know this is a small sample
size, but I find it hard to buy the theory that adrenal tumors are totally
due to the early altering, unless of course, 6 months is too early to have
them fixed.  I sure hope they find the cause soon, it is heartbreaking to
see so many suffer from this awful disease.  In the meantime I have finally
broke down and tried Bob C's.  Chicken Gravy Recipe, I would hate to think
I've been contributing to their cancers by the diet (kibble) I've been
feeding them, so thought this would be worth a try.

Sorry this was so long, thanks for listening, I rarely get up the courage
to post, but apparently once I get started, look out!

Julie