Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:07:51 EST
Hello all,

I've sent this post to Dr. Williams directly, but was hoping you guys who
may have experienced this may have some advice to share.  Mandy, my 6 year
old female had surgery this past Monday (12/11) at which time her left
adrenal gland was removed as well as a nodule from her pancreas.  Her
glucose level prior to surgery was 34 and following surgery was over
400.  Dr. Welborn had her on dextrose during surgery so this wasn't too
surprising.  However I am concerned, as we checked her again on Tuesday and
it was up to 561.  We are hoping that it will go down on its own however
she is still showing signs of elevated blood sugar ( excessive thirst and
urination, and wobbly walking).  Bandit had experienced these symptoms a
couple years ago in reaction to pred.  use.  Fortunately, his blood sugar
came down on its own and actually stabilized to allow him to be medication
free for about six months.  Anyway, my questions are do you know how long
her glucose lever should take to come down on its own, if its going to and
what I should suggest to my vet if it seems like this is not going to
resolve on its own?  I am concerned about potential for permanent problems
by waiting too long.  Other than this, her recovery from surgery seems to
be going well.  Although her energy level is very low, and she mostly
sleeps, she is alert when awake, uses the litter box fine and seems to rest
comfortably.  She doesn't eat on her own at all, but she wasn't before
surgery either.  I had been hand (syringe) feeding her chicken gravy;
however since her glucose is elevated I've been feeding chicken baby food
due to the sugars in the gravy, just in case it makes a difference.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have.  I appreciate it.

Lucie & Jack with Mandrake, Merlin, Myst, Jessie and Sarah
Always missing Bandit, Gandalf, Jasmine and Aislyn