From:
Shyla Tessmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:26:58 -0400
Hi everyone!  I posted a couple of days ago about possible adrenal disease
in my Rocket.  I wanted to thank everyone who responded.  I am feeling
better about the hair loss I'm seeing.  So far, it has just started on
the tip.  It does, however, come out along the entire tail (at the base
too) if I pull lightly.  Several replies say that it may just be a case
of "rat-tail".  I'm crossing my fingers on that one.  We still have our
appointment Tuesday to see the doc.  I am trying to examine Rock's tail
more closely (for as long as he'll sit still!), and I have seen very tiny
black specks in several places on otherwise cream-colored skin.  The very
tip of his tail is almost completely dark though.  Are these the blackheads
that I hear about so often?  They are EXTREMELY small, like the size of a
pinpoint.  I am hoping so much that it's just a stress-related problem
stemming from his IBD.  For rat-tail, what is the best treatment?  I've
heard about people using Clean and Clear, Stridex pads, plain soap, and
other remedies.  What works the best?  Would a veterinary medicated shampoo
work better than over-the-counter drug store options?  How often should his
tail be washed, and generally how long does it take for rat-tail to go
away?

As long as I'm on the topic of tails, I also wanted to mention something
that I've noticed about Lynk's tail.  I'd say that I discovered it
approximately a month ago when I ran my hand along his tail.  To describe
it best, it felt like a smooth, soft tail until I got to a small, harder
"crook" near the end of it.  When I first looked at it, I saw that the
very tip was a dark, blackish color and felt harder than it should've
been.  Lately, I'd say in the past couple of days, it has possibly changed
slightly, if at all.  The reason I say "possibly" is because he has a
very full, hairy tail, and it's hard to see what's on it.  Like I said, I
discovered this bump by feel, not by sight.  So, it may have been the same
all along, but I just did not notice everything when I first checked.  Now,
I see not only the darker tip, but just below the tip is a reddish bump.
It may be that this part is inflammed and causing the crooked feeling.
Lynk has been his normal, bouncy self ever since my discovery of this
little "thing", so I have not been too alarmed by it.  I do want to have it
checked out, though, before it gets any worse, so he will be joining Rocket
and me on our trip to the vet next Tuesday.  I know someone just posted
about a chordoma.  Is that what this is?  Or, could this be rat-tail also?
Does rat-tail always cause hair loss?  But,if in fact it is a chordoma
(hope I've got that word right), would he have to have some of his tail
cut off?  How does a vet actually perform that?

Battling the curse of the tails,
Shyla, Lynk, Rocket, Mykah, and Jewell the cat