Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:15:00 -0500
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post from Massachusetts.  I signed on to this list because
I have a ferret in his "silver years" and he is developing health problems.
 I'm not sure which problems I should just take as "well, he's getting old"
and which ones I should take him to the vet for.

Here's the history...
Slink claimed us when he wandered into our yard about three years ago, we
reported him, and no one claimed him.  He's a beautiful, hardy looking
fuzzy, spayed with no tattoos.  We don't know how old he is, maybe 6?  About
a year ago he developed a cataract.

Anyway, he developed a cough about 8 months ago, and it was about time for
his yearly shots so I brought him in.  The vet (an exotic) said his lungs
sounded clear, and since it was only really evident at sleep time, not to
worry about it.  Well, it got progressively worse, until I came home one day
and the poor guy was laying on his blanket belly-up, wheezing so hard in his
sleep that his little front paws were rolling back and forth.  I took him
right to the emergency room.  Two days and $700 later they told me he had
recurring pneumonia.  He was on anti-biotics for 30 days.

My question... should he still be breathing hard?  The vet said there might
be some scarring of his lungs.... He doesn't play much anymore, just sulks
under the dresser.  Sometimes he tries to drag things under there with him.
He comes out for snacks and then goes back under.  He's now an unhappy
camper.

If you have experience with "geriatric" (as the vet put it) ferrets, would
you please write with some advice?  What else should I watch for?

Thanks!!
Kristine (Slink, Pheob