From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:58:29 -0400
Got to see my very 1st blood transfusion today.  I have to say it's not
as bad as I thought it would be.  Zeus, one of our largest males was the
donator while the receiver was a tiny, near death 3 month old female named
Phoenix.  The Animal Hospital of High park called me today with the story
of the little girl needing help.

Phoenix was from a pet store.  She was bought by a family and 3 weeks later
dropped back at the store because she was sick.  The store put her in a
back room and wanted to leave her there to die.  A caring employee brought
her home and took her to the vet.  She's very ill and they are still not
sure she'll make it.  She is covered in fleas and is not eating on her own.

Zeus to the rescue.  He donated 7 cc's of his blood to Phoenix and didn't
feel a thing!  Dr. Parker (who always gets excited when she gets to cut
open, poke or examine a ferret) did a great job.  Both Zeus and Phoenix
were well taken care of and they were both really brave.  I can't say I'm
the same, I've never given blood.  Needles creep me out <g>.  Phoenix is a
bit better now and they are a little more hopeful for this tiny baby.

On a sad note, Wendy, I am really sorry for the passing of Stinki.  She'll
always be remembered here at our shelter as the sweet little girl who
donated all her sleep sacks "Stinki Sacks" to the other ferrets who were in
need.

Randy

The Ferret Aid Society "For the love of our fuzzy friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org

http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1383&mid=43897
Use your mouse to raise funds for the shelter by clicking here.