From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:51:46 -0500
ADV  Testing info:
http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/adv,html#test
http://www.avecon.com

>If her test comes back positive and the boys negative well, they have
>been exposed already, nothing I can do now

Not necessarily true.  If she is positive for ADV, and the other ferrets
test negative, the thing to do is separate them and retest after the two
week timeframe is past.  If they remain negative, she should stay
separated from them.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.
---

>Lulu was just tested blood and cams back mild positive  BUT the
>boys are of right now tested negative

[She emphasized that the boys were her priority in her letter.]

Dear X:

The Aleutian Disease parvovirus is not extremely contagious, and there is
much we do not know about this disease in ferrets.  There is certainly a
chance that the boys have not contracted AD, especially as she is only a
mild positive on the blood test - it may mean that she is not shedding
high levels of virus at this point.

One thing that we are all forgetting at this time is that other
confirmatory tests are available - the CIEP test at United Vaccines, the
PCR through Dr. Stevenson at the University of Georgia, even a routine
CBC and protein with analysis of the globulins.

If the boys are the priority, I think that it is incumbent that you find a
place for her at another home - either an ADV+ shelter or a home with no
other ferrets.  There she can be monitored (and so can your boys.)

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Sukie note: Later learned that Dr. Stevenson may have enough samples at
stage so ask first rather than assuming that test is available now.]

[Re: assorted tests for ADV -- Sukie note]

Let me hasten to add that I am not saying that all of these tests are
available for routine testing.  At this point I am saying that one or
more of these additional tests are required to prove a claim that an
animal has Aleutian Disease

There is a prevalent misconception that a positive serology equates with
an animal having Aleutian Disease.  The presence of antibodies shows only
that the animal has been exposed.  The other tests are required to show
that the animal indeed has the disease.

>Also, something I'm sure Dr. Williams meant to mention, from what
>I've learned, a "routine CBC and protein with analysis of the globulins"
>will tell you if the ferret has clinical Aleutian disease, but it is not
>used to test for antibodies (exposure to the virus), as the CIEP and ELISA
>are.

That is another way to say the same it (Thanks, X).

So, once and for all - a positive serologic test means that the animal is
exposed, but it will take additional tests to show if the animal truly has
Aleutian Disease.  Serologically positive animals are certainly at high
risk for development of the disease over time, and for shedding the virus,
but it does not equate with actually having the disease itself.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

Normally, a complete blood count contains the total protein, which is
the most important part when it comes to Aleutian Disease.  The blood
chemistry will take it one step further, giving you both a total protein
as well as the albumin.  If you subtract the albumin from the total
protein level, you are left essentially with the globulin level.

If you take this one step further, and ask for a breakdown of the
globulins, the gamma fraction represents the antibodies, and is the
fraction most closely watched in cases of ADV - if it exceeds 20% of the
overall globulin total - that is very characteristic of clinical Aleutian
Disease.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

I can certainly understand your frustrations - there is a lot of detail
here, but when you back off a bit, there are a few things that we all
agree on.

1) There is no currently available test that will identify all cases of
Aleutian disease at all stages.  This is why we use a combination of tests
to confirm positive cases, and test several times to confirm negatives.

2) Testing for all ferrets is very important.  Whether you use the saliva
test, the ELISA blood test, or the CIEP test, you should test.  Not every
case will be picked up, but the vast majority will, and picking up even
one positive in a multi-ferret facility or household should set off a
series of testing and repeat testing that very well may disclose
additional cases.

3) ADV is a silent disease with the potential, as we are now seeing, for
wide spread before the first case is diagnosed.  There is no treatment for
this disease, and animals are apparently healthy for the first 18 moths or
more of infection, so early identification is paramount.

The best thing that we can do is test 100% of our ferrets with some
available tests.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

***** [Sukie note: this note makes a VERY IMPORTANT point which hasn't
been mentioned overtly before in relation to one cause of confusion.]

Currently there is a lot of traffic on testing, and confirmation of
positive ELISA tests.  There is one point of confusion, however.

We know that there are two systems commercially available for serology -
the Avecon ELISA test and the CIEP tests (available through United
Vaccines.) The two tests utilize different technologies, and test for
slightly different antibodies.

To confirm a positive test, it is important to utilize the OTHER system,
so that both tests are eventually run.  Independent confirmation is key
to believable results.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM