From:
Valaria Vorlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:18:49 -0800
I noticed the recent discussion on couch proofing and for those of you who
might be buying soon I'd like to suggest a Futon.  They can go under, but
there just isn't anywhere to go *into*.

Another frrt-proofing idea: my tower case for the computer stands on the
floor with all kinds of cables and pokey bits coming out the back of course
and I didn't want the frrt or dog messing around back there.  I got some 1"
hardware cloth and made a "U" shape to encircle the back of the computer and
it's held in place by wire stretched across from one arm of the U to the
other.  My frrt is always supervised so I didn't block off the top, but it
would be easy enough to put a hardware cloth cover over the top or to build
an even better hardware cloth box to protect the computer.  The wires are
all coming out the top at about 2" high and so far don't seem to be
interesting, but I have the bitter apple ready just in case :)

This is my second frrt, but is the first I have raised from a baby, so could
somebody tell me if I am handing the biting right?  She is probably 12 weeks
as far as I know, but we are not sure because the pet store kept crappy
records.  She seems to get into bitey moods.  She's in one right now and is
after my bare ankles and feet!  When it hurts, I grab her by the scruff and
give her several nose flicks, but I am not sure I am getting through to her
or not and I am worried about hurting her.  She's not trying to break the
skin, just biting hard enough to hurt :( Bitter apple seemed to help, but
I'd really rather not coat myself in it on a daily basis and I need to think
about guests and such as well.  So please tell me if I am doing something
wrong or if I just need to out-stubborn her, which I know I can do :) I am
used to dogs with which ONE firm punishment is often enough for them to
never do it again!

Finally, could somebody please repost what sort of pepper I can sprinkle on
the carpet to stop scratching?  She seems to have found a few favorite
places :)

Valaria