From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS OF GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:46:47 -0400
I was contacted by a ferret owner who has traveled back & forth from CA &
GA w/her ferret a couple of times.  She's moving back to CA on Wed &
thought it would be OK because she intended to get a permit.  I explained
the CA situation to her.

She's interested in adopting a companion for her little one.  She did have
another who recently died.  She took in the old, unwanted ferret & at
considerable expense did her best treat his medical problems, unfortunately
it was not to be.

She wanted to adopt a companion for her surviving fuzzy from me in GA, but
I suggested it would be much better to adopt once she was relocated &
settled.  So I hope that someone in CA will contact me so we can help this
dedicated owner.  She's also very interested in working for ferret
legalization in CA.

I would also appreciate if someone would provide info on the safe route
into CA.  I should have recorded it a long time ago.
 *****

I had a wonderful experience visiting the Ellijay Wildlife Rehabilitation
Sanctuary in North GA today.  Yes it's ferret related & I'll get there soon
enough ;) I was overwhelmed w/the enormity of their undertaking.  They take
in indigenous species in GA, that have been ignorantly taken from the wild
& raised until they can no longer be handled, are from abusive situations,
or deliberately or accidentally injured.  They care for cougars, birds of
prey, raccoons, opossums, snakes, etc.  as well as various non-indigenous
species who either cannot be released or have nowhere to go, including
ferrets who have been dumped by their owners.

I have to give the director, "Grizzly" Craig Cylke, a lot of respect.  He's
dedicated his life to the welfare of animals & does his very best for them.
This sanctuary is worth a visit.  If you'd like more info, go to:
http://www.wildliferehabsanctuary.org/

Like any rescue, they need money.  So if the welfare of all creatures is
important to you, this institution is worthy of your generosity & greatly
in need to further provide better enclosures & feed their wards.  They
receive no government funding, are staffed primarily by volunteers, & are
supported solely by private donations.  Std disclaimer from me, I am in no
way associated w/or receive any compensation from EWRS, other than the
satisfaction that they're doing right by the animals.

Now about the ferrets.  I know that they have been contacted by several
people, some associated w/this list, w/concerns for the welfare of the
ferrets.  EWRS took in these unwanted pets that needed a place to go.
They are being well cared for, are well socialized & happy.  The reason
for all this is that I was contacted by a dedicated ferret owner about the
conditions & they way they were being presented in their program.  I'm
happy to say that EWRS was open & agreeable to our suggestions & have made
changes.  While they are housed out doors, they're in a large enclosure in
a well shaded area & have been acclimated.  They are brought in during the
winter.  They have a large, clean container of clean water & now they have
clear tubes, a ferret ball & a little igloo - & they love them.  Grizzly
allowed us to go into the enclosure & handle them, they're all so sweet.
They all have a name.  The ferrets are used in their presentation to create
a connection w/the animals they can't touch.  They get carried & touched &
are presented as domestic animals that cannot survive in the wild.

Please know that EWRS is doing a great job & very worthy of your support.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.  3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.  5 A direct result of ferret math.
  /That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./
FERRET BUSINESS of GA is a GA nonprofit corporation & is licensed by
                the GA Dept. of Agriculture as an animal shelter