From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:22:12 -0400
This may be somewhat discombobulated since I'm in a hurry but I was thinking
about the MF thing earlier and realized I was saying/doing something that
was sort of incorrect.  Mr. Killian's post regarding inter-club politics led
me to realize that I may have been seen to be attacking MF since that's
"who" I was using as an example in my posts.

What I'm REALLY trying to say, or what my point is.....I don't like any big
breeder or farm, to include Path Valley, Hagen etc.  and have been using MF
as a generic term which I will no longer do.  (1) Since I am not qualified
to discuss genetics I don't and no one seems to know what these farms do
anyway, (2) I try to keep my opinions about animal research out of it.

What I don't like or understand is how people can support big farms just
because of the way they must do business.  By the nature of their business
and these farms size their ferrets cannot get personal attention, get out of
their cages for play etc.  etc.  So I am anti any "farm" "puppy mill" etc.
situation.  For companion animals/pets this only seems logical and
consistent with how we all respond to any inference that someone has a
ferret they are not letting out of their cage.  If an individual posted "I
keep my ferret in a smallish cage in a room with no windows, aritificial
light and never let it out, breed it all the time and euthenize when they
can no longer breed" we'd probably all agree they shouldn't have a
ferret/dog/cat whatever.  Since the shelter's are full I think there are
probably enough animals to go around and I'd personnely rather be on a
waiting list than think about the aniamls in these situations.  This is my
main reason for not understanding people supporting large farms by buying
their products (directly at any rate since I would certainly take in a
second hand farm animal), ferrets, food, toys etc.  It seems inconsistant
with their own pet standards.  I promise to try not to use the "MF" words
indiscriminatley anymore - instead I'll just slander them all:)

Mary, Boris and Giesela (for whom not only would a cage be too small but the
whole house is!)