Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 10:11:00 -0400
I just want to comment on some recent discussion of the importance of ferret
pedigrees, or for that matter the pedigree of any breeder animal.

The importance of a pedigree, in particular to a breeder, goes to the
breeder's primary responsibility which is genetic diversity.  This does not
mean breeding for temperament as opposed to color, ther is nothing wrong
with breeding responsibly for a particular color or pattern.  However, the
responsibility part comes in because it is the Breeders responsibility to
make certain genetic flaws are not being promoted.  While deafness is
something the ferret can certainly live with, it is not necessarily an
innocuous occurence.  No one knows what other problems may be associated
with deafness and the blaze pattern.  It is certainly possible to breed
blazes without the known genetic problem of deafness.  It is simply
irresponsible not to pay any attention.  The primary reason for having a
pedigree is to insure an adequate gene pool is being drawn upon to minimize
(we can never eliminate genetic malformations in ferrets or people for that
matter) genetic problems that negatively effect the health of the animal.

I would suggest that comparing ferret pedigrees to AKC pedigrees is a bad
example, since we know that the AKC has over the years been the proximate
cause for destroying several dog breeds, simply by encouraging, via show
performance, the breeding of traits in animals that changed the health and
personality of numerous fine breeds.  In that sense a ferret pedigree is
light years more valuable than an AKC pedigree, and I submit that any breeder
unwilling to give you a pedigree for a purchased animal should be considered
irresponsible.  Lack of a pedigree can only be excused if the genetic
background of the animal can be established by some other certain means to
not contribute to inbreeding.  Any breeding practice that does not rely on
pedigrees to ensure each successive generation has the potential for an
improved chance at life is tantamount to closing your eyes and throwing the
jills and hobs together at random.  If you are going to do that, you might
as well throw them all in one cage, at least then you'll get the offspring
of a dominant Hob.

I would challenge breeders to set a standard of ethics in this area to hold
to.  There are many issues regarding the health and well-being of ferrets
that only good, responsible breeders can adequately address.  The best way
breeders can contribute to the future of ferrets as pets in this country is
to produce healthy, well-mannered pets that will live long, healthy lives
with well-educated, responsible owners.   If we produce bad-tempered,
unhealthy, inbred animals we are no better than ferret mills.

Mitch & Kathleen Cheeseman, Dancing Bottom Ferrets