Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:22:06 -0400
Someone posted here last week advising the use of Sevin (the insecticide,
also known as carbaryl) on ferrets (or their bedding) as a pest repellent.
PLEASE don't do that.  By coincidence, I was browsing through my new
medical encyclopedia ("The Mosby Medical Encyclopedia") last week, and they
had the following listing for Sevin:

"A widely used insect poison that can harm humans if it is spilled directly
on the skin.  Besides irritating the skin, it may cause nausea, vomiting,
cramps, diarrhea, heavy sweating, drooling, shortness of breath, weakness,
loss of coordination, and slurred speech; large doses may cause coma and
death.  Carbaryl on the skin should be immediately washed off with water.
Poisoning requires the attention of a doctor".

This entry caused me to go looking for the MSDS (material safety data sheet)
for Sevin.  You can find it located at:

http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msds/hazcom/173/36219.txt

It says:

Health Haz Acute And Chronic: CAUSES HEADACHES, NAUSEA, VOMITING,
SWEATING, ABDOMINAL CRAMPS, & PINPOINT PUPILS.

Emergency/First Aid Proc: SKIN: FLUSH WITH WATER.  ATROPINE IS AN ANTIDOTE.
INHALATION: REMOVE TO FRESH AIR.  INGESTION: INDUCE VOMITING AT ONCE.  GET
PHYSICIAN.  INHALATION: REMOVE FROM EXPOSURE, SHOWER, PUT ON CLEAN CLOTHES,
& TAKE TO A DOCTOR.  2-PAM MUST NOT BE USED.

Other Precautions: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.  HARMFUL IF INHALED OR
SWALLOWED.  AVOID BREATHING OF DUST/SPRAY.  DON'T TAKE INTERNALLY.  AVOID
CONTACT W/SKIN.  WASH HANDS & FACE BEFORE EATING.  WASH THOROUGHLY AFTER
HANDLING.

All in all, I must say that this is NOT something I would want to get
anywhere near my pet ... much less put it directly on them as a pest
killer ...

- Ela