From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:52:29 -0400
>I see occasional references recommending the use of Pepto for ferrets
>suffering from forms of enteritis or Heliocobacter.  PLEASE DON'T DO
>THIS!!!  Pepto has an agent in it that thins the blood much like apspirin
>does and bleeding intestinal lesions are a common symptom in most cases of
>enteritis and especially Heliocobacter.  Pepto will enhance bleeding and
>it's the last thing you need...
>Ferretguy

Actually, Pepto Bismol does not pose a problem for most ferrets and is
recommended by many top ferret vets.  Of course, if a ferret has a very
active ulcer at first then an ulcer routine with carafate is the way to
start off, and when the ulcer is settled enough for the vet to feel
sanguine (Oh, she is punning...) then go to one of the Helicobacter
routines.

If you would like to check on this with such experts go to:

>My vet's office said they'll be using Merial Recumbi-tek K-9 distemper, a
>new distemper vaccine that has no agevents (which they said was causing
>the ferret reactions).
>
>Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about it?...
>Risa

A person still will need to take reaction precautions but the probability
of a severe reaction appears to be at the very most only one half the rate
for existing vaccines and it could be better than that.  I'd heard the
conference rumor that they are expecting general release soon.  Has your
vet heard a date?  It is a very effective vaccine, BTW, and is well
tested.  In the final round of experimental testing one ferret reacted.

>This was the first post I saw regarding Propecia, and assuming this was
>given to adrenal ferrets, what was the result?  Did all the fur grow back,
>or did only some hair grow back.  I was just curious about details on the
>actual results of using this product, other than no side effects being
>noticed.  Thanks!
>
>Phyllis

Go to the FHL website listed above and check on it using the search
feature.  I have not used it myself and have had a hard weekend so don't
trust my memory totally, but I believe that it has been used in CONJUNCTION
with Lupron for ferrets which also have prostate disease or other urinary
blocking disease from adrenal growths that can't be removed due to those
few reasons that actually prevent surgery.