From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 16:44:29 -0500
When I was at my vet's office earlier this week he gave me a copy of a
histopath report on an adrenal tumor he removed recently and asked for me to
pass it around to ask if other vets had seen the particular neoplasm
(leiomyosarcoma) described.  He's been doing a lot of adrenalectomies, but
had not yet seen this type of tumor.

The ferret is a spayed female, three years of age.

Source: Right adrenal gland.  1 x 2 cm. gray white tissue(s).
History:        Endocrine alopecia, vulvar enlargement for greater than one
year.  Pancreas and left adrenal - normal.  Right adrenal debulked
approximtely 95%.

Effacing up to 98% of the tissue is an expansive mass composed of
interlacing streams of pleomorphic, spindle to strap-shaped smooth muscle
cells.  These cells often bisect one another at 90 degree angles.  Mitotic
figures are infrequent.  There are frequent small clusters of entrapped
adrenal cortical epithelial cells.  The mass extends to well demarcated
natural borders of the section.

Diagnosis:    Leiomyosarcoma of adrenal glandular origin, with interspersed
adrenal cortical epithelial cells (possibly hyperplastic).
Prognosis:    Fair, recommend follow up.

Comments:     Leiomyosarcoma of adrenal glandular origin has been reported
in ferrets.  These tumors can also arise from the reproductive tract,
including the gonad and from subcutaneous sites.  I am not aware of these
neoplasms themselves being associated with endocrine alopecia, however
within this neoplasm were entrapped clusters of cortical epithelial cells
that appeared mildly hyperplastic and may have been responsible for
increased production of estrogenic compounds which caused endocrine
alopecia.  Leiomyosarcomas of adreanl origin have been reported to exhibit
local expansive growth into the abdomen, however metastasis has not been
reported.  This mass appeared well-demarcated and may have been completely
removed, however follow up is suggested.

Vets, any similar cases?  Ferret owners, have any of you had an adrenal
problem ferret whose tumor was reported as leiomyosarcoma-- if so, may I
pass your vet's name and contact info to my vet?

Thanks--
                Debra in Ft. Worth

(e-mail direct to me will get read sooner, but I will eventually make
it through the list as well)