From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:47:45 -0500
Things are in a state of flux again (perhaps because of a recent number of
e-mails send out to states, in addition to many phone calls by Diane Rogers
and others), with more information coming in (though not at the early rate)
so I figure that it's just as well that I haven't had the time to continue
the compilation since right now it would be a snap shot of motion while it
would make more sense to just wait for another still time and update
everyone on the entire thing then.

Have a new state update for you; this time from Idaho: Kendal G. Eyre, DVM,
Assistant State Veterinarian, Division of Animal Industries, State of Idaho
Department of Agriculture, 2270 Old Penitentiary Road, P.O.  Box 7249,
Boise, Idaho 83712, 208-332-8540, Fax 208-334-4062; excerpts:

"Although we have for a number of years grouped vaccinated ferrets in the
same grouping as vaccinated dogs and cats when considering how to handle
bite cases, the only option we have allowed for unvaccinated ferrets that
have bitten someone was euthanasia.

In the State of Idaho we have a "Protocol for Animal Isolation, Animal
Bites, and Rabies Prophylaxis" document that is a consensus agreement of
the Idaho Department of Agriculture, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
and Idaho District Health Departments.

In accordance with the recommendations of the 1998 Compendium of Animal
Rabies Control, it is our Bureau's intention to recommend to the protocol
development task force that ferrets be grouped with dogs and cats as far as
the consideration of bite cases and rabies epidemiology is concerned.  The
next meeting of this group will probably take place in late March or Early
April of 1998.  If all members are agreeable, these recommendations will be
incorporated into the protocol and will be reviewed by the State
Epidemiologist and State Veterinarian.  Shortly thereafter, this protocol
will be published and distributed to veterinarians and health care providers
as our agencies' recommendations for the handling of rabies cases."

That's Idaho right now.  The progress is certainly in the right direction.

I have heard from people in California that the studies which exist, once
published in refereed journals, MIGHT be enough now for the health
department to provide quarantine protection.  Although nebulous, this is an
improvement and may be partly in response to the overwhelming number of
states which are recognizing the 1998 Compendium.