From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:52:41 -0400
The inestimable Bob C. wrote:
>I am sure thare are lots of other "end biting" tricks, especially for fear
>biters, floating among the FML membership.  Since it is such a common
>complaint, perhaps we should all post about our best solutions, and have
>them compiled into a FAQ for newbees and shelter operators.

If someone collects them, I'd be glad to turn them into a FAQ.  I have a
number of such articles and suggestions sitting around waiting to be
included.  Better yet, if someone collects them -and- turns them into a FAQ,
I'd be glad to make it available along with the others at Ferret Central and
the associated FAQ FTP site.  If it looks like a good idea, I can also post
it monthly to rec.pets and alt.pets.ferrets, all with proper credit given of
course.

One small caution, though.  We all know that ferrets aren't vicious, but a
whole FAQ dedicated to "teaching ferrets not to bite" runs the risk of
providing more fodder for the propagation cannons -- or at least grist for
the rumor mills, if you'll allow the metaphor mix.  So far, I've resisted
the urge to create one for general distribution, instead just passing along
ideas to anyone who asks (and making good use of the more experienced people
who've offered to help me out with questions -- thanks!).  We should
consider how a Biting FAQ might be interpreted, and be sure to mention in
BIG BOLD LETTERS that adult ferrets who bite are far more the exception than
the rule.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>