Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:57:26 -0500
From the FML a few days ago, was this post from [log in to unmask] (Ferret
Rescue of Tidewater) concerning adrenals:

>.....<snip> I can only give my advice: SMELL THE FERRET.  Every adrenal
>ferret I have ever had had a more acrid, musky odor than the typical ferret,
>and they always seemed to be "hotter" body temp wise, than a ferret not
>suffering from adrnenal tumors.....<snip>....

I have a little sprite in now with hairloss, and her vulva is just barely
starting to swell.  She's had that "acrid, musky odor" since I took her in
mid-February - almost a month, now.  The odor has seemed vaguely familiar,
and I hadn't been able to quite place it -- until last night.

Back in January I took in 4 whole ferrets - 2 jills, 2 hobs.  All four were
neutered ASAP, but not before the two jills went into season.....

Cleo smells just like those two little jills did, only not as strong!

I got to thinking -- since some of the symptoms of adrenal disease mimic
going into season, it makes sense to me that the ferret could also start to
*smell* like it was going into season.  The smell wouldn't be quite as
strong, since the odor is from a different cause.

I bounced this idea off of Lisa, and she said it seemed likely.  I also had
my Vet take another "look and a whiff" at Cleo, and Dr. Klein agreed - she
does smell like she's going into season, although she is spayed.  Dr. K
thought my hypothesis seemed reasonable.

So, I'd like to ask for comment or observation from others of you who have
seen ferrets with adrenal.  If this is true, it would indicate why the odor
has been such a reliable indicator of adrenal disease for Lisa.  It might
also help us catch the disease earlier, for some ferrets who may not exhibit
all of the other symptoms.

Vets?

Carla S.
WhyNot? Ferrets