From:
Terri Beier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:57:58 -0600
Hi everyone.  I have also seen the "Ferret Starter Kit" that someone
mentioned yesterday.  I have seen new owners looking at it while I have been
in the store and I try to explain to them all the reasons why they shouldn't
buy it.  All of them have listened, so far.

A couple of nights ago my brother had left a message on my machine saying
that he had bought a "Ferret Starter Kit" for his new ferret, Scrappy.  They
have had Scrappy for about a month.  He was kept in a medium sized one level
cage, so they had been looking for a new one.

Well the first thing that I thought of when I heard him say "Starter Kit"
was the one that was described in yesterday's FML.  I couldn't believe it.
I called him right away.  I am happy to say that I was completely wrong.  I
don't know the brand name, but it is called a "Ferret Starter Kit".  The
cage has four levels and came with a water bottle, hanging food dish, litter
pan, 2 tubes, a hammock, and a hanging ferret playpen.  No wood chips of any
kind were included or suggested.  He said that some ferret information also
came with it.  He bought it from a pet store (national chain) that does not
carry ferrets, but helps people locate them if they really want one.  He
said that they suggest this cage or one of at least a similar size to any
who inquires about ferrets.

With all of the recent talk about pet stores, I was glad to see that this
store has taken the time to explain ferrets and their needs to their
employees and potential ferret owners.  They told my brother that he could
call if he ever had any questions about Scrappy and they would do their best
to find the answers.

Also--two thumbs up for the person who designed this particular "Ferret
Starter Kit".

BLIND FERRETS
I would like to thank everyone who wrote to me about their experiences with
blind ferrets.  It was so encouraging.  Oliver is doing great!  He is one of
the most active kits we have ever had!  What a personality!  And to top
everything else, he still hasn't missed the litter pan even once in two
weeks:-) Yes, I have been checking the walls and corners, even with a
flashlight because I am so amazed!  I hope he keeps this up.

I was supposed to get my new kit yesterday, but there was bad weather and
the breeder didn't want to try to make the drive.  Hopefully today will be
the day!

Terri
Gus, Fester, Rippey, Kirby, and Oliver