From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:39:29 -0700
>From:    Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Gentamicin  - worse than deafness
>They are right it!  It should NEVER be given to ferrets-- the first thing
>it does is shut down kidneys!!!  I have a friend who lost 10 of her loved
>ferrets this way- it USED to be recommended by Dr. Susan Brown for ECE!!!!
>NOw they know better.

Hi.  I ran to see what I've been putting in my Claudette's eyes for an
infection, prescribed by her ferret-experienced vet.  Gentocin drops
(gentamicin sulfate, ophthalmic solution).  She is on a second round of it,
with a few weeks in between, as we only put it in the left eye, which
cleared up, but then the right eye became goopy, so we're putting it in
both for a week.  She has lost weight, two to three ounces recently in the
past month or two.  I haven't liked the look of her eyes, a little bulgy.
Today she had terrible diarrhea, though she has loose seedy stool generally
and we haven't been able to find out why.  Is THIS what you're not supposed
to give to ferrets, or are you talking about an oral antibiotic?  Oh...
Okay.  I searched back a few FML's and see it's an injectable, and was
discussed by Dr. Williams (hi Dr. Williams!) at Ferrets 2000.  However,
eye drops can leak out a bit and could get licked, though it should be
minimal ingestion.

Any comments about these antibiotic eye drops?

I'm watching Claudette closely and will take her in if necessary to get the
weight loss checked, and if the diarrhea doesn't clear up ASAP.  I was in
Alaska for a week and the stress of her eye being infected, plus I mixed
new ferret food so there was a bit of change in diet, could have brought
on both.  Our vet is on medical leave... sigh, and we were very dependant
on her.  It's hard to start over but I have two vets in mind.

Lynn and Four Aging Ferties, an ancient cat (19), and fert-girl Lucy

[Moderator's note: They eye drops were mentioned at Ferrets 2000.  Dr.
Williams felt they were ok to use if I remember correctly.  BIG]