From:
California Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 22:09:32 -0400
Hello Californians,

It has come to my attention that both CDFA and FA were supplied with
incorrect addresses for four of the Committee Members of Water, Parks and
Wildlife.  If your Assemblyman is one of the four listed below, please
assume that your letter(s) did not reach him (some have already been
returned as undeliverable).  Take a moment to write him again using the new
address.  These Assemblymen are on the Committee through which our Ferret
Resolution must pass, so it is essential that they receive as many letter
from constituents as possible.  Sorrry for the inconvenience.

These are the correct addresses:

Bob Margett, 55 East Huntington Dr. Suite 120, Arcadia, CA 91006
Kevin Murray, 400 Corporate Point Suite 725, Culver City, CA  90230
Phil Hawkins, 17100 Pioneer Blvd. Suite 290, Artesia, CA  90701
Charles Poochigian, 4974 East Clinton Way Suite 100, Fresno, CA  93727

If you live in California, please come forward to help out.  You have the
right to own the domesticated pet of yur choice.  It is a right guaranteed
by our State consitutuion.  Don't let the California Department of Fish and
Game (DFG) criminalize you for exercising that right.  Get involved, make
your wishes heard-- but remember, the person representing you in the
California Assembly is not the problem, DFG is, so be friendly and polite in
your letters to your Assembly representatives.

Please phone me or e-mail me if you are willing to distribute flyers in your
area to local pet stores and veterinarians' offices.  I especially need to
hear from folks in Los Angeles and San Diego.  If we lose this resolution,
not only will we have lost an opportunity to send a strong message to the
Fish and Game Commission to legalize ferrets, but we will be sending a poor
message and it could have serious consequences when they finally do hear
testimony on the ferret issue.  As one lobbyist said, upon reviewing the
Committee members, "this isn't a slam dunk by any means."

Now is the time to pull out all the stops.  Please, help us help ferrets and
their owners in California.  I'm also looking for Californians that have had
run-ins with Fish and Game concerning ferrets who would speak to the media
about it.  Have you had your animals confiscated?  Have you had fines?  Have
your ferrets been euthanized?  Contact me ASAP on any of these issues listed
above, and if you are willing to help out.

Jeanne Carley
Legislative Director, CDFA
415 851-3750