From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:56:40 CST
Whew, I'm glad some people said something -- I had started to go into one of
my soapbox speeches and decided against it just because I think I do it to
much.  Thanks to all who have said it for me.  I totally agree especially
with Michelle that descenting is not mutilation nor is it cruel if done
right, though there are some associated risks as with any surgery.  The
argument could be made that no one who's not willing to put up with the smell
should own a ferret, but I tend to disagree.  Contrary to Bill's contention,
I have found the bombs *do* linger in cloth materials and soap and water
isn't always sufficient.  And some ferrets do it far more often than others,
and it makes them far less pleasant to be around then just their normal musky
smell -- although that may be where their general odor comes from, the anal
sac bombs are far more pungent and I firmly believe that an owner is not
cruel if s/he doesn't feel he can live with it but still is a loving home to
a deserving ferret.  Personally, as a ferret lover and soon-to-be vet who
will be willing to perform the operation, I was offended by the tone taken by
some of the people against it.  I would never in my life mutilate an animal,
but I would certainly descent a ferret with over-active anal sacs.

Believe it or not, that *was* shorter than my original soapbox!   (What can I
say? -- I had to say something; my feelings were really hurt, especially by
Bill Killian's original tone).

Laura L'Heureux